Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
A typical day for a Software Development Manager at Workday looks like this:
Focus on best in class delivery:
- Guide your development team to adapt to the latest cloud computing technologies who are building enterprise software in the cloud on a single code line through an agile, continuous development methodology allowing for rapid delivery of our software.
- Team up with architects, product managers and other stakeholders to deliver a new generation of innovative solutions
Grow and lead a team of talented, dynamic and passionate software engineers. Partner together with our team in Pleasanton, CA on delivering best in class global support and solutions.
- Provide leadership to development team on delivering high performing, high quality features that our customers expect in an agile environment.
- Encourage, support and drive innovation on our products and processes.
Clearly articulate trade-offs in process/architecture to meet delivery needs are vetted, communicated and well understood/agreed upon across key stakeholders.
Foster happy and engaged teams:
- Encourage fun and think of innovative ways to support our core value of fun!
- Ensure that the team has a high-level engagement through clear roles, career growth and career development opportunities, recognition and feedback. Adapt and improve roles as necessary for the business and leveraging the strengths of the team.
Continuously improve our processes:
- Strategically communicate and influence partners, peers, management and the team on key decisions.
- Improve application health and performance through a metrics-driven approach.
Develop a continuous planning and delivery approach for features committed in 6 month release cycles.
Ensure that we have happy customers:
- Ensure that product delivery is high quality in both architecture design, code quality/best practices.
- Own and drive customer go live to ensure customer successful outcomes.
Ensure that customer issues are resolved with urgency according to severity level and impact.
- Continuously look for ways and influence teams on improving our production support process and reducing our technical debt and overall customer issues.
End the day knowing that your contributions were impactful and your opinions count!
This job may be for you if:
- You have a minimum of 3 years leading development projects and teams of up to 5 engineers, including remote developers
- You have a minimum of 5 years OO software design and development experience
- You have a 4-year degree in computer science or equivalent.
- You have experience guiding development teams using Agile development methodologies
- You have a deep understanding of the software development lifecycle
- You have led teams delivering large-scale, distributed, and highly concurrent systems
Other qualities that will help you succeed in this job:
- You have a track record of ensuring that features meet requirements and stakeholders are kept up to date throughout the development lifecycle
- You are energized by helping your team with career growth and personal development
- You are passionate about delivering innovative technical solutions to meet client needs
- You are both strategic and detail oriented
- You like to collaborate with your team
- You can communicate and write excellently