Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Principal Copywriter to join the Core Creative team within the Brand department in Twilio Marketing. You will be responsible for crafting how the Twilio brand is expressed in writing. You will be instrumental in creating copy for all internal and external brand communication, from ad copy to website headlines, from video scripts to ebook titles. You will help transform technical concepts into engaging human stores and pull the salient idea from a list of features. You have a keen ear for the melody of language and a knack for expressing an idea that sticks!
You'll build and strengthen the Twilio voice.
As Twilio's Principal Copywriter, you will own the voice of Twilio. Building upon the established Twilio Brand, you will focus on defining a distinctive writing style and tone of voice for Twilio and crafting guidelines to enable other writers at the company to accurately publish content in that style. You will partner with translators and our global teams to ensure a consistent tone of voice around the world from Brazil to Japan.
You'll partner with the Web team
in Brand to ensure we have a consistent voice across all our digital properties.
You'll partner with the Brand Experience team
in Brand to help execute output for programs at massive scale like SIGNAL. Brand Experience charts the course on net-new programs at Twilio and Core Creative strategically partners with them to help pull the vision off.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has
- Proven ability in professional & creative writing.
- Demonstrated ability in brand and strategy, ideally with hands-on brand voice experience with guidelines, brand strategy, storytelling and video script writing. You've built and contributed to scalable brands by understanding the array of unique needs. You can lead teams to write within our voice by setting teams up with scalable systems and guidelines.
- Strong creative writing skills. Can demonstrate experience in taking dense technical concepts and translating them into concise, meaningful, emotionally-anchored stories.
- Exceptional communication skills. Landing the right copy solution at Twilio means iterating and reiterating your point of view often. We strive to generate and discuss solutions with a diligent, positive attitude, seeking first to understand, then to be understood.
- Strong ability to collaborate. This position requires an enthusiasm for collaborative problem solving. Working with several different partners across several different products with unique targets and attributes, daily challenges require enthusiasm for puzzle-cracking and continuous revision.
- An understanding of programming fundamental concepts & social culture. You may not have a favorite language or write code frequently yourself, but you have experience writing for the folks who do. You understand the psychology of a developer's day-to-day work life that manifests in the humor, opportunities, and challenges that are present in the developer's life.
- You understand how to market to both developers and the enterprise. While at face value these personas may feel like opposite ends of the spectrum. Twilio was founded on the idea that developers can build solutions to hard problems. Developers are a core component of our business that we must continue to appeal to. It's hard to sell to developers but it is possible. You must be able to strike the right balance: appeal to developers as our base, while also speaking to the enterprise audience.
As the Principal Copywriter on the Core Creative team at Twilio you'll live the company's values by:
- WRITE IT DOWN You epitomize this value. You champion writing it down for all Twilions. Our business is complex and certain situations require different tones. You get to help establish when those tones are appropriate.
- EMPOWER OTHERS and guide your colleagues to write in accordance with our brand voice. You'll help ensure it's adhered to at scale with the use of guidelines.
- DON'T SETTLE by thinking people will follow the rules. Instead, you will provide training on consistency of the Twilio Voice to Twilions who publish external-facing content in docs, blog posts, and presentations.
- BEING BOLD as you lead partners to innovate and encourage customers and prospects to think bigger about what's possible with our customer engagement platform.
- BE INCLUSIVE by making sure our voice is equitable and inclusive everywhere it shows up.
- DRAW THE OWL by helping forge new paths for how we show up in the market and drive capability and relevancy amongst our competitors.
Core Creative leads our colleagues by example, enabling them to elevate their content with high quality brand elements. We build scale mechanisms to enable a dispersed, distributed team to build our brand with a consistent voice and connect with our audiences on an emotional level. We write guidelines and create magic moments to help build trust in a brand that exists to serve its customers all across the globe.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world's developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world, and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers' experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world's communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world's most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world's largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$90,752 - $124,784
Rest of Colorado:
$79,408 - $109,186
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio's benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It's likely that you don't think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life's moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks