Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Engineering for the Voice and Video R&D Business Unit working with our Platform services. This role requires an adaptable and skilled leader able to shepherd growth and direction for insights and console products. The successful candidate will need tremendous technical depth and managerial chops to support our broad customer base, rapid growth rate, and the scale at which we're currently operating. They must be passionate about building teams, multiplying technical leaders, and collaboration, understanding that everyone in the room has a voice, and that more diverse voices make better teams. This is a full stack position, and a balance between frontend and backend technology leadership experience will be critical.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- You have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in SaaS software companies.
- You are an adaptive leader that easily tailors goals and outcomes to the situation at hand.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization bringing together disparate teams, setting expectations and driving for success.
- Coach and Advocate - you are passionate about developing engineering leaders within your organization and providing an environment for learning and growth.
- Connector - you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations.
- Agent of Change - you demonstrate your communication skills and EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build.
- Problem Solver - you utilize your experience and versatile leadership approaches to bring people together and drive problems to resolution.
- You are familiar with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into measurable plans for your team
- You believe in building a culture of learning and teaching across all teams.
- You have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to present and communicate at all levels of an organization.
- BS in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team's services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- Lead strategy planning and design sessions with Product Management, Architecture, Business and Operations partners to create a shared vision and technical roadmap.
- Some (up to 25%) travel likely required in the future.
- BE AN OWNER: Instill our values, behaviors and standard methodologies throughout the organization to grow the capabilities of our engineering teams.
- NO SHENANIGANS: You always act in an honest, direct and transparent way and uphold our values.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate opportunities, risk and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal partners.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: It is key for you to understand, document and define risks that drive enhance the organization's ability to prioritize while informing the business of these priorities.
- BE BOLD: Every big idea starts small, open up boundaries and keep raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results. Never settle and keep pushing yourself and the teams forward.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Coach, mentor and inspire engineering teams by building and ensuring a safe and inclusive environment where all voices can be heard.
- DRAW THE OWL: Influence teams to continuously be improving while supporting progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- DON'T SETTLE: Always look for the next opportunity for Twilio to improve our delivery capabilities
Twilio Voice and Video Programmable Platform is our flagship product suite that powers the intelligent communication streams of some of the largest businesses in the world. This platform services billions of minutes on a weekly basis and serves critical needs of our customers. Twilio is a developer-first platform, and Programmable Voice & Video platform requires developers and operators to have real time intelligence and insights into the traffic. In this role, you'll help define the tools that enable developers of all types to be successful with Twilio. You will lead teams that define strategy Industry's best insights and operational platform to our customers and developers.About us:
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world's communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world's most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world's largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.