The Role: Technical Writer
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated technical writer to work with manufacturing/design/production engineers on creating and documenting manufacturing processes for our innovative EV products. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to building a world class manufacturing facility right here in the Bay Area.
Production Engineering at Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on critical subsystems of incredibly exciting products. The Technical Writer will work alongside engineers and other technical writers to document the fine details of manufacturing processes and equipment operation. They are familiar with technical writing and can quickly capture information with notes, recordings, and photographs. Once captured, he/she can transform this information into clear Manufacturing Instructions (MIs), visual aids, training checklists, and maintenance instructions. MIs are the singular record of how Tesla’s products are assembled, making them the processes that hundreds of our production associates follow.
- Composing instructional documents on factory topics
- Moving step-by-step through factory topics with engineers, taking notes and photographs for new documentation along the way
- Editing and rewriting drafts after review by technical experts for accuracy
- Using Microsoft Word to compose documents, adhering to consistent style and formatting defined by detailed templates
- Graphically communicating concepts such as motion, action and direction using arrows, symbols and text in Word
- Promptly and clearly escalating issues and questions verbally and/or via email during documentation drafting
- The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. They appreciate an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. They look forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
- Experience creating process documentation that clearly and efficiently communicates concepts, ideas, and instructions
- Ability to translate verbal information into clearly written procedures
- Demonstrated excellence in digital photography including but not limited to the following:
- Still and motion photography.
- Attention to aspect ratio and subject framing.
- Ability to use macro features in order to capture close-up detail.
- Manipulation of files between camera and computer.
- Formatting and editing of digital images, including image size and resolution, color, brightness and contrast, rotation and cropping, etc.
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment is a plus.
- Experience reading and interpreting mechanical drawings is a plus.
- Ability to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines (simultaneously managing multiple documentation projects).
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills, with a proficiency in English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent listening and observation skills.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
- AA/AS Degree in technical writing, engineering, drafting, or related field strongly preferred.
- 3 years pertinent experience.
- As a full-time Tesla employee, you will receive full benefits from day 1 for you and your dependents.
- United Healthcare PPO and HSA plans (including infertility coverage)
- 3 medical plan choices with $0 paycheck contribution
- Vision & dental plans (including orthodontic coverage)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time Off, and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and employee discounts