The Technical Support Engineer will provide support for industrial-scale battery products. This primarily involves, diagnosing and resolving problems in connection with on-site field technicians and interacting with construction teams during the commissioning process. It also involves working with customers and third-party operators to keep our equipment running along with supporting system, product, quality and process issues. Reviewing single line drawings for industrial storage projects especially Microgrid (which are more challenging than standard on-grid projects) to identify any execution risks and improvements is also required.
Additionally, the role will involve improving, supporting and working with software tools developed by Tesla’s internal tools team. The software tools communicate with Tesla’s physical assets (inverters, meters, gateways, etc.) that monitor the performance of our distributed photovoltaic and storage systems and allow a proactive approach to product problem identification and resolution.
This position is a graveyard shift position, working 12-hours shifts, supporting a 24x7 environment. Scheduled shifts are: Sunday – Wednesday and Wednesday – Saturday. Shift times / coverage will be based on the business need.
Investigate why an Industrial Battery System is not working as expected and establish the repair plan for the system.
- Troubleshoot complex communication problems among inverters, energy meters, DC battery controls, and central SCADA devices, often using only command-line tools such as NMAP, traceroute
- Remotely update networking devices to resolve identified issues and restore operation to the system
- Commission new Industrial Storage Systems for Tesla customers by configuring them to customer’s specifications, updating the equipment’s software and firmware, and validating the end-to-end operation of the equipment. All this work is performed remotely using cutting edge tools to eliminate the need for a technician to visit the site.
- Extract logs from Linux file system and from custom interface devices via a variety of methods (telnet, sftp, port-mapped web interfaces)
- Review single line diagrams of Industrial Storage projects, especially Microgrid to identify any operational risks.
- Support customers and field technicians working with Tesla’s Industrial Storage Products using remote diagnostic tools and troubleshooting.
- Manage and resolve customer concerns with Industrial Storage Products that arise via email and phone calls.
- Report reoccurring quality problems to the design and manufacturing teams.
- Configure Tesla’s controller network settings as per customer’s requirements to enable communications with customer controller and any meters shared with customer.
- Maintain and update the content and structure of Tesla’s customer and equipment databases
- Develop a deep specialized knowledge of the proprietary tools developed by Tesla to monitor the Tesla fleet for issues
- Develop, enhance and critique data processing techniques used by Tesla’s internal tools to evaluate performance and find malfunctions.
- Collaborate on design projects and code reviews with colleagues.
Skills and Qualifications:
Enthusiasm for green technology, in particular solar and energy conservation technologies.
- Experience in a customer service environment.
- Experience and proficiency with the Linux/UNIX programming environment.
- Exposure to the following programming languages
- Advanced knowledge in communication systems and protocols such as TCP/IP, including the tools available at the command line interface to troubleshoot network communication issues.
- Can interpret complex electrical single line diagrams.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and/or professional statistical analysis software.
- Advanced SQL skills and comprehension of complex relational database schemas.
- Understanding of a technical support environment and processes, including ability to document case histories clearly, accurately and with detail. Ability to prioritize workflows effectively according to multiple criteria. Experience with CRM systems, mobile case/ticketing systems, bug tracking systems.
- Personal skills suitable for frequent direct contact with non-technical customers in technical troubleshooting scenarios. A positive, friendly manner on the phone and in writing is essential, as well as patience and the ability to instruct and inform during troubleshooting.
- Ability to independently make decisions and solve problems with limited direction.
- Grasps basic concepts of electricity (AC/DC, current, voltage, resistance, power vs. energy etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science or relevant industry experience.
- Foreign language proficiency a plus.
Additional skills and qualifications:
Expert in C and scripting languages (Bash, Python, etc.) and the Linux/UNIX programming environment.
- Expert understanding of complex electrical single line diagrams.
- Expert understanding of electrical theory and experience with emphasis on DC power systems or other electronic systems/devices/components.
- Expert understanding of communication systems, protocols and network architecture.
- Bachelor's degree is a must in Engineering or Computer Science or Electrical or Mechanical engineering. Master’s degree is a plus in any of the engineering fields.