Tesla’s Power Electronics group is looking for a highly motivated individual to program manage new/existing engineering projects for Energy, Solar Products and Vehicles products. This is a cross-functional role that requires coordination between many different groups within and outside of Tesla.
You will be immersed in the design engineering process and will shepherd projects from concept through to prototype validation and then production ramp. You will use your engineering background to understand the product requirements, technical risks and the validation strategy to accelerate the development process. You will communicate and present project status, highlight schedule risk, and develop recovery plans in the event of project slip. On a daily basis, you will interface with cross function teams - design, manufacturing, compliance, system test, reliability, supply chain and operations to define and drive development of new product programs, while also managing changes in existing programs.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will be expected to operate with a high degree of autonomy on your programs while contributing to the development of tools and processes that improve the organization’s productivity.
You will be based out of the Palo Alto, California with the expectation of some travel to our Gigafactory 1 (Reno, NV), Gigafactory 2 (Buffalo, NY) or vendor sites.
- Establish and manage programs feature baseline, scheduling, critical path, and technology risks areas for execution.
- Cross-functionally communicate key development updates, risks and timeline on projects as well as presenting to Tesla Executive team on a weekly basis.
- Identify tactical (exercise operational excellence) and creative ways to overcome obstacles while meeting deadlines despite setbacks.
- Develop tools to automate various reporting or planning functions for the Technical Programs Management Team.
- Conduct planning and execution/support of NPI builds.
- 5+ years of experience in a fast pace NPI, cross-function teams orientated environment managing programs for high volume mass production products.
- Demonstrate understanding of new product development cycles and criticality of time-to-market – any time spent on perfecting a design is foregoing the next big thing.
- Ability to grasp complex technical topics and abstract key issues and risks in an actionable form
- Experience in leading large group of people, and able to remain calm with big picture in mind in the face of uncertainties
- Detail oriented with strong record-keeping and organizational skills, as well as excellent communication skills from teams to Executives, both verbal and written.
- Skills with common workplace software (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation software etc) with the ability to create and maintain metrics.
- BS in an engineering discipline or equivalent practical knowledge. Masters is preferred, but not required.
* * * * * * * *
As a full time Tesla employee you will receive full benefits from day 1 for you and your dependents.
Kaiser and UnitedHealthcare PPO and HSA plans (including infertility coverage)
3 medical plan choices with $0 paycheck contribution
Vision & dental plans (including orthodontic coverage)
Company paid Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time Off, and Paid Holidays
Back-up childcare and employee discounts