The Materials Supervisor will be part of the Production Control Team within the Materials Group and will be responsible for designing and developing inventory movement and storage systems from dock to storage or staging to production line side locations, for improving productivity and efficiency of operations, and for managing conveyance or warehouse staff. These activities will take place primarily at the Tesla Factory located in Fremont, California. The primary objective of the Material Handling and Inventory Control Group is to implement an efficient receiving, warehouse, material handling, and conveyance solutions to support the overall vehicle manufacturing operation, while optimizing space, improving labor productivity, and creating a more ergonomic work environment for Tesla’s associates. This position will report to the Associate Manager - Conveyance or Warehouse.
- Design, develop, and implement solutions for dramatically improving material flows through the factory using Lean Principles.
Manage a Team of up to 50 Material Handlers
Ability to foster and develop a strong team of material handling personnel through selective recruitment, thorough and consistent on-boarding process, training, and coaching.
- Ability to meet material conveyance or warehouse operations financial objectives by participating in budget preparation, forecasting requirements, planning for capital expenditures, securing company property and assets, and analyzing and resolving inventory variances.
- Capable of defining material conveyance operations systems to include: developing processes for conveyance- or warehouse-related activities, defining materials related aspects of new production line side determining equipment needs and utilization, defining storage and material handling requirements, and ability to integrate and align physical processes with systematic processes.
- Drive improvements within material flow by planning layout and space requirements, reducing line impact, analyzing and reviewing product flow, and evaluating and proposing new equipment options. Maintains safe work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures.
- Minimum 4 year degree in related field or equivalent years’ experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- Must have experience in Production Control
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing, supply chain and/or distribution and logistics experience desirable. Minimum of 3 years in a Supervisory/Management role.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, including ability to express well-reasoned, independent thought. Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing concepts with the ability to lead 5S and kaizen efforts for continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to be a resilient change agent capable of leading organization through paradigm shifts.
- Strong knowledge of Production and Inventory Control within manufacturing environment with the ability to teach and coach others on best practices.
- Strong knowledge of material flow methodologies including sequencing, kitting, repack, etc.