Senior New Programs EngineerTHE ROLE
The New Programs Engineering team works at the front end of the design and development cycle by studying, simulating, building, and proving successful Tesla’s future vehicle concepts. New Programs Engineers interact with cross-functional partners from the Design, Vehicle Engineering, and Powertrain Engineering groups to develop 3D designs, mules, prototypes, and demonstrators used for informing downstream engineering efforts. This is a product design engineering position where product design expertise and fundamental first principles approach to problem solving are far more important than extensive automotive industry specific experience.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Product Definition – Document product plan of record. Identify risks and key decisions. Gather data, feedback, and customer input to present to design, engineering, and leadership to facilitate key product decisions
- Own vehicle system level attributes in the first stage of product definition and present tradeoffs to leadership in conjunction with partner teams. Facilitate product decisions with deep dives into customer use cases, market research, cost, mass any any other pertinent data.
- Studio Engineering – Support designers, digital modelers, and clay modelers in defining manufacturing strategies and setting out criteria to output useable 3D surfaces that can be used to mass manufacture a vehicle. Track these geometrical solutions and drive them to feasibility for manufacturing and regulatory compliance.
- Concept Development – Brainstorm and collaborate with engineers, designers, and users in creating new solutions for automotive applications. Develop the designs using CAD and build your designs to prove them out and refine them over time
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a product development environment
- Hands on experience in narrowing product scope and facilitating cross functional decisions on complex products
- Familiarity with world automotive regulations, consumer ratings, and major load cases that guide road vehicle product constraints
- Understanding and proficiency of Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Capability to use 3D CAD software and an understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workloads, and meet tight delivery timelines. Create schedules and report out to leadership how the early design decisions track to critical program level milestones.