Staff Level Controls Engineer/ Technical Trainer
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in industrial automation, with a focus on PLC systems, communications architecture, and integration with robotics and databases. This person must be capable of collaborating with cross-functional teams and factory managers while guiding and leading the less senior members of the team. The successful candidate will have knowledge in manufacturing assembly systems, a deep understanding of mechatronics, as well as exceptional interpersonal, organizational and management skills, demonstrating the ability to be an innovator a trainer and change agent.
- Ability to perform training to level up Technicians and less senior engineers.
- Generate aesthetic HMI screens for complex machinery that provide sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Generate PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable using existing programming standards.
- Provide feedback and experience in equipment design reviews
- Participate in conversations with production staff on Automation & Control related topics and issues.
- Assist with projects and installations with regards to control systems for production equipment.
- Assist production in continuous process optimization of automated lines.
- Support maintenance and sustaining teams in troubleshooting difficult equipment failures.
- Generate, modify, and approve electrical schematics created in house or external to Tesla.
- Develop maintenance documentation, training programs, and lead this training.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution.
- Assist in risk assessments and implement findings.
- Maintain and improve programming standards for PLC and Ignition SCADA automated systems.
- Responsible for backing up and maintaining equipment programs.
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and uptime.
- Debug and implement corrective actions for breakdowns and chronic equipment failure.
- Act as liaison to IT department for Manufacturing Execution Systems during development and implementation.
- Participate in supplier and equipment buyoffs.
- Have flexible schedule allowing for weekend and on call work schedules.
- Be competent and familiar with Fanuc robot programming and/or integration with external control systems.
- BS/MS Mechatronic Engineering (or equivalent Engineering Degree – Control Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering) Or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience as a hands-on Automation & Control Engineer or Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Must be proficient in PLC programming, troubleshooting, and configuration. Allen-Bradley platforms (ControlLogix, CompactLogix) required. Siemens, Beckhoff is a plus.
- Must be proficient in HMI programming, troubleshooting, and configuration. Allen-Bradley FactoryTalk View & Ignition SCADA are preferred.
Ability to train and lead team of Controls Engineers, Controls Technicians, and Maintenance Technicians
- Proficient in Python, equivalent High-Level programming language (C, C++, C#, Java, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience with robot programming (fanuc), backup, and restoration.
- Experience with SQL, scripting, creating various reports, and utilization of database tools.
- Experience with vision systems (Cognex, Datalogic, Fanuc Vision)
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical for developing electrical schematics.
- Experience deploying equipment to high volume manufacturing.
- Knowledge of production quality metrics and LEAN methodology.
- Experience presenting technical programs with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience in Linux and Embedded control systems is a plus.