Staff Automation & Control Engineer
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated candidate that has extensive experience in industrial automation, with a focus on PLC systems, communications architecture, and integration with robotics and databases. This person must be capable of collaborating with cross-functional teams and factory managers. The successful candidate will have knowledge in manufacturing assembly systems, a deep understanding of mechatronics, as well as exceptional interpersonal, organizational and management skills, demonstrating the ability to be an innovator and change agent.
- Report to Engineering Manager and lead implementation of design standards for HMI, PLC, Automated Systems design and development for manufacturing equipment.
- Interface with production staff on Automation & Control related topics and issues.
- Lead or assist with projects and installations with regards to control systems for production equipment.
- Lead efforts in continuous process optimization of automated lines from controls perspective.
- Support maintenance and sustaining teams in troubleshooting difficult equipment failures.
- Generate, modify, and approve electrical schematics created in house or external to Tesla.
- Develop maintenance documentation, training programs, and lead this training as pertaining to control systems.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution.
- Assist in risk assessments and implement findings.
- Lead and improve programming standards for PLC and Ignition SCADA automated systems.
- Manage backup of automated machines and control systems.
- Lead efforts to optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and uptime.
- Lead efforts implement corrective actions for breakdowns and chronic equipment failure.
- Act as liaison to IT department for Manufacturing Execution Systems during development and implementation.
- Be competent and familiar with Fanuc robot programming and/or integration with external control systems.
- BS/MS Mechatronic Engineering (or equivalent Engineering Degree – Control Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering)
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Automation & Control Engineer or Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Must be proficient in PLC programming, troubleshooting, and configuration. Allen-Bradley platforms (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, MicroLogix) required. Siemens, Beckhoff is a plus.
- Must be proficient in HMI programming, troubleshooting, and configuration. Allen-Bradley FactoryTalk View & Ignition SCADA required.
- Must be proficient in Python, equivalent High-Level programming language (C, C++, C#, Java, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience managing people.
- Experience with robot programming (Fanuc), backup, and restoration.
- Experience with SQL, scripting, creating various reports, and utilization of database tools.
- Experience with vision systems (Cognex, Datalogic, Fanuc Vision)
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical for developing electrical schematics.
- Experience deploying equipment to high volume manufacturing.
- Knowledge of production quality metrics and LEAN methodology.
- Experience presenting technical programs with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience in Linux and Embedded control systems is a plus.