Metrology – Dimensional Engineer (Giga Factory)Role
The Dimensional Engineer will work within the Giga Metrology team under the quality group supporting every production lines of the Giga Factory. He will be reporting to the Metrology Manager and work with Metrology technicians and perform dimensional investigations as well as working with Design and Manufacturing group to build and inspect new line’s tooling
- Design and implement automated and manual data collection processes
- Act as specialist in ‘applied metrology’ and provide support to manufacturing and design areas in development of appropriate measurement methods, including researching and recommending new technologies, analyzing existing measurement methods, and training as required.
- Create and validate Measurement Uncertainty Budget.
- Work closely with Metrology Technicians to improve current processes and develop new methods for unique measurement challenges.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineers, Design Engineers and Quality Engineers to understand their needs and develop measurement techniques, processes and procedures which meet Tesla’s requirements.
- Work closely with the Metrology Manager on continuously improving the Labs’ processes, procedures, datasheets and measurement techniques.
- Provide dimensional expertise to support improvement projects (cycle time, efficiency, safety, etc).
- Analyze and break down dimensional data to identify source of problems (Sub assembly, Tooling, Supplier part, etc).
- Actively monitor dimensional accuracy of drive unit and battery product thru various measurement systems (CMM, Faro, Check fixture, Romer, Laser Tracker, 3D scanner, etc).
- Provide day to day production support on quality concerns and develop and implement short/long term countermeasure to quality problems while maintaining operation efficiency.
- Standardizing processes by developing, deploying, and training others on dimensional engineering best practices.
- Support incoming inspection correlation, MSA, FAI and Capability analysis for various external suppliers
- Responsible for creating and validating tolerance deviation requests
- Provide expertise on GD&T best practices and closely work with Quality and Design engineer to make sure that datum scheme and tolerances are accurate for the form, fit and function of the assemblies
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Minimally 3-5 years of experience in quality, metrology or design engineering
- Excellent understanding of GD&T and ability to create datum strategies that minimize tolerance stack-up in critical areas
- Strong mechanical intuition and extensive hands on experience modifying tooling, fixtures, etc…
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and make correction if needed
- Experienced with CAD design software (CATIA is a must)
- Experienced using measurement tools for root cause diagnostics (Faro arm, CMM, 3D scanner, Polyworks)
- Strong understanding of statistics to identify critical process parameters.
- Strong communication and team working skills at all levels of an organization
- Ability to present simple solutions to complex problems and influence key change directives to other engineering teams.