As a Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, releasing and launching components for future vehicle lines including, but not limited to Front & Rear Fascia Assemblies, Wheel Liners, Sound Absorbers and Underbody Trim, meeting all fit and finish requirements.
You will be part of the team that creates and executes complex exterior vehicle systems in terms of styling, function and quality. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these commodities and develop as a full vehicle engineer – designing and delivering entire systems rather than just components.
You will report to the Engineering Manager of Exterior Systems.
As part of Tesla’s Vehicle Exterior Engineering team, you will design release and launch exterior components and subsystems, aligned with program product profile with responsibilities to include:
- Concept Engineering & feasibility;
- Packaging & layout within vehicle architecture;
- Design to deliver customer-driven exterior system targets for craftsmanship, function, cost and weight;
- Participate in the iterative process with the Tesla design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost;
- Detail design including datum & fixation strategy, GD&T;
- Complete and release component & sub system design, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required;
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the program;
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design;
- Collaborate with key suppliers for approving tooling designs for block out and manufacturing;
- Support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within the Tesla Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure system manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME preferred) or 5 years of experience in automotive or similar field, but proven evidence of technical aptitude can be a substitute for exposure. Evidence of following the design process from initial concept stages through tooling release and production launch, having completed 3D and 2D CAD in Catia V5 or V6;
- Automotive Engineering with components in the Exterior environment preferred;
- Experience managing suppliers for product development;
- Have a good mix of designing a variety of materials (stamped, injection mold, cast, etc.) and designing kinematics/ mechanisms;
- Understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering between low/high volume production, entry/premium vehicle systems and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs;
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs;
- Strong familiarity with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP&R’s and other technical documents;
- Demonstrate an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout your career.