Tesla’s Manufacturing Engineering team is at the forefront of building cutting edge assembly lines and automation cells. This team is building the next generation assembly lines which allows our operations team to produce amazing vehicles at best in class quality and rate; in a safe and ergonomic environment.
The Manufacturing Engineering - General Assembly team is seeking a Sr. Manufacturing Engineer to focus on supporting the scaling of our operations and product range. This includes equipment specification and commission, as well as establishment and optimization of process parameters. The candidate will work closely with internal cross-functional teams, external vendors and technology partners on process development from concept prototype phase to production introduction.
- Design of manufacturing equipment; conveyance, lift assists, jig, fixtures, trolleys, etc.
- Develop equipment specifications and requirements based on product constraints
- Develop RFQs
o Provide 3D design solutions and guidance
o Conduct equipment design reviews and provide design guidance to vendors.
o Manage equipment suppliers through all phases of projects.
- Coordination with other process, mechanical, electrical and support disciplines including project managers, manufacturing reps, and other stakeholders.
- Interface with external Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) firms during bid and project execution phases as needed to ensure that designs and specifications meet Tesla Engineering Standards
- Participate in on-field construction and commissioning activities by serving as the point of contact for technical questions and real-time issue resolution.
- Interface with customers, suppliers, and functional owners to coordinate project activities and remediate project issues.
- Draft qualification protocols and manage equipment qualification activities.
- Provide equipment validation documentation
The ideal candidate takes pride in her/his hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. She/He appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. She/He looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
- BS Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics.
- Minimum 5 years related experience in a technology based industry, where automated assembly techniques are utilized.
- Industrial Engineering experience working in high-volume assembly processes.
- Experience designing automated manufacturing equipment
- Proficiency designing mechanical equipment, fixtures and tooling in CAD (Solidworks, Catia is a plus)
- Understanding of GD&T
- Proficiency designing with AutoCAD 2D
- Proficiency creating detailed drawings from solid models for various fabrication techniques (CNC/manual machining, welding, sheet metal forming)
- Proficiency in mechanical assembly (press fits, fastener selection)
- Experience introducing new equipment and new processes into a production environment
- Knowledge of automated equipment systems and tools - robotic, vision, material handling, Conveyors, PLC, HMI, etc.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc (MS Office suite)
- Travel required – 10%