Tesla is currently seeking a motivated and accomplished Industrial Engineer who will be the subject matter expert leading Fremont Factory Design projects. This position is based in the Fremont factory in Fremont, CA.
The ideal candidate will excel in a demanding and fast-paced environment where they will work as part of a strong, agile and highly motivated team to accomplish some of the most ambitious projects being attempted in any industry today. He/She takes pride in his/her thoroughness, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. The candidate will be able to think at a systems level about ambiguous problems and use strong logic and computation to develop material flow and layout strategies. A successful applicant will have the ability to quantify ambiguous problems to drive data-based decisions.
The team is responsible for developing a factory design which supports seamless integration between production, packaging, material flow, supply chain, construction, and facilities teams. Innovation is expected. Through a detailed understanding of the high-level factory objectives and extensive collaboration with the internal and external teams designing individual factory components, this team ensures that the overall factory design achieves all of Tesla’s objectives.
- Display a positive attitude and practice strong work ethics that reflects the mission, philosophy and goals of Tesla.
- Design and optimize site layouts for production, material flow, construction, and facilities.
- Work with internal manufacturing engineering teams to ensure that equipment and layout designs align with the overall material flow plan and vision for the factory.
- Own equipment-level equipment layouts to optimize shop layouts at the station level
- Create layouts for dock staging areas, logistics/rail yards, and warehouses.
- Perform clash-detection with facilities design and manufacturing engineering teams during the integration of detailed equipment layouts and facility layouts
- Material Flow System Design:
- Develop detailed material flow models for new and existing products to project material flow headcount, optimize dock door utilization, estimate warehouse and material buffer sizes, and identify opportunities for supply chain optimization
- Support the development of site-specific logistics/supply chain strategies, quantifying the benefits of each to drive the optimal modality and inventory balance
- Work closely with manufacturing engineering teams to develop a plan to deliver each part to the line as efficiently as possible. Own the strategy for delivering hundreds of parts to the manufacturing lines.
- Develop innovative, cost-effective solutions with the packaging team for part presentation, packing density, and sustainability.
- Create dynamic simulation models for aisle & dock congestion analysis and validation of static material flow assumptions
- 5+ years of industrial, manufacturing, or mechanical engineering experience with emphasis on layout and material flow
- BS or MS Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and/or equivalent experience.
- Extensive detailed material flow analysis experience to make data-driven decisions and summarize results for executives.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to drive projects with diverse teams in a high volume manufacturing environment.
- Experience quantitatively solving ambiguous factory design problems at a systems level.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience with Excel (VBA a plus).
- Extensive experience with layouts in AutoCAD.
- Experience with discrete event simulation software (FlexSim preferred)
- Experience designing greenfield facility layouts and/or material flow strategy
- Experience with Revit, Catia, Solidworks, Sketchup
- Extensive experience with FlexSim
- Experience with automated material flow/warehouse equipment design and/or implementation.