Tesla’s Materials Engineering group is looking for a highly motivated Chemical Engineer to work on a critical challenge facing the world’s energy transition – Battery Cathode materials. This includes the development and scale-up of novel, high-energy and low-cost cathode materials and the development of first-of-a-kind processes that shorten the path from mine to battery cell.
As a chemical engineer, you will lead the development and deployment of new chemical production processes and equipment, and design new processing facilities to produce high purity battery materials, leading projects from concept through design, install, integration, ramp, and handover to the operations team.
- Develop schematic and detailed designs for first-of-a-kind chemical processing systems to produce high-purity battery materials.
- Interface with equipment suppliers through concept development, system design, detailed design, procurement, installation, and acceptance testing
- Develop operating procedures, safety protocols, and maintenance plans for large scale chemical process equipment.
- Support operations teams with achieving productivity and material quality targets on pilot and commercial scale systems.
- Work closely with battery materials R&D team for introduction of novel materials and new process methods at commercial scale.
- Evidence of exceptional ability, including a strong understanding of engineering fundamentals and demonstrated ability to leverage this understanding to solve challenging technical problems.
- 3+ years in a chemical process design or chemical production environment, with demonstrated experience in the execution of engineering projects from concept development through commissioning and ramp-up.
- Experience building process flow diagrams and process & instrumentation diagrams, as well as building mass-energy balances for processing plants. Working knowledge and experience with process simulation software is a plus.
- Experience developing process control narratives, Sequence of Operations, and working closely with controls engineers to design and implement control systems to ensure safe and efficient operation of complex chemical process systems.
- Experience conducting process hazard reviews and HazOps.
- Experience with the following industries and production environments:
o High Purity production facilities (specialty chemicals, food, pharmaceuticals)
o Bulk solids handling and powder processing systems, including powder blending, powder/spray coatings, crushing/milling, mechanical sorting/sieving/separation
o High temperature thermal processing/calcining systems
o Washing, leaching, filtration, mechanical/thermal concentration, precipitation, and crystallization processes