Tesla’s Manufacturing Engineering team is at the forefront of building cutting edge assembly lines and automation cells. This team is building the next generation assembly lines which allows our operations team to produce amazing vehicles at best in class quality and rate; in a safe and ergonomic environment.
As part of the Manufacturing Engineering group – the Material Flow/Conveyance team is seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager to manage multiple automation conveyance projects. The material flow/conveyance team is responsible for the automated conveyance and storage of large sub-assemblies within the factory from the dock to the line and between shops. This generally includes painted and unpainted bodies, seats, tires, drive units, batteries, instrument panel, etc.
The primary objectives of the TPM will be to manage cross functional project teams tasked with delivering automation conveyance and storage solutions across multiple Tesla sites around the world. The TPM may manage multiple-simultaneous projects from concept selection through design and implementation. The TPM will develop the project plan to include scope, schedule, technical and resource requirements, cost/budget, change management, stakeholder and vendor management, communication, critical issues management, quality, risk management, procurement planning, project reporting and monitoring, and overall integration management. The TPM will be tasked to deliver projects that meet the functional requirements identified at the onset of the project, the established timeline, and will ensure the successful hand-off to the intended stakeholder(s).
This position will report into the senior manager of Material Flow/Conveyance Engineering and is based in Fremont, CA.
Work collaboratively with engineering leads and managers to set goals and track deliverables.
- Provide clear input to the project team on schedules, issues, and deliverables related to subsystem and vehicle development.
- Develop a project timeline and deliverables at the on-set of the project based on inputs from all stake holders and in alignment with Tesla ramp plans
- Leverage common project management tools to provide weekly updates to various levels of the organization, raise critical issues and risks, and develop plans to mitigate those risks
- Participate in weekly overall factory wide program meetings to stay updated and be able to communicate the latest changes to the project team
- Schedule and lead regular project team meeting to track progress and identify any critical issues
- Establish strong relationships with senior operations leaders that will be the future owners of the implemented system
- Communicate engineering requirements between operations, Supply Chain and Purchasing to facilitate material planning.
- Develop business case analysis where necessary and coordinate with finance
- Consolidate inputs from across Tesla into executive reviews highlighting risks and opportunities.
- Continuously improve the TPM process by developing and standardizing new tools that can be leveraged by internal and external teams
- Prepare project Capex requests and coordinate with finance to get budgets approved
- Manage the vendor change order process
- BS Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics.
- 6+ years’ experience in technical project management, ideally with multiple delivered projects of medium (25M+) to large sized capital equipment systems.
- Familiarity with mechanical engineering, electrical/controls engineering, and software development process. Individual contributor design engineering experience is highly valued.
- Experience in planning activities and vendor management in an engineering environment.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex system design, development, and implementation projects and identify critical elements.
- Detail oriented with strong record-keeping and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical background to support the design requirement development process
- Ability to work cross functionally between engineering, production, and supply chain personnel.
- Ability to manage multiple ambiguous projects at the same time with a high degree of variation and uncertainty.
- Natural ability to speak, write and communicate effectively at all organizational levels.
- Ability to perform well and grow under limited supervision