Tesla is seeking an amazing hardware engineering design manager to lead full life cycle development of automated test equipment, in the area of core test technology. This team is focused on creating bleeding edge technology for test systems. Core IP is our priority to ensure Tesla continues to maintain its competitive advantage. Our automated system design comprises embedded PCBs, mechanical end effectors/fixturing, and advanced software design.
The position is based in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada. You will revolutionize every facet of core test automation and provide technical leadership to a superstar team.
- Manage, direct and support the electrical and mechanical engineering teams. Hire, train, develop, teach, coach, mentor, motivate, and reward staff members. Advocate for courageous leaders!
- Set the standard of technical and leadership excellence for the team. You will be capable of executing any level of design to lead from the front.
- Develop innovative technologies for ultra-reliable testers, unit defect detection capabilities, and previously unimagined production rate scaling capabilities.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Embed with product design teams to drive design for test/manufacturing.
- Ensure test machines provide effective testing coverage, protect the unit under test, solve uptime needs, and reduce cycle time requirements for scalable high-volume manufacturing.
- Drive enhanced mechanical/electrical design standards, best practices, and tools to improve designs.
- Characterization and validation of new equipment for introduction to the production floor.
- Create outstanding documentation packages, train others in the maintenance and long-term usage of test systems.
- Lead with first principles mentality on each design!
- BSME, BSEE or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience designing best in class mechanical or electrical products.
- 5+ years of progressive engineering management experience with no less than 5 direct reports.
- Ability to lead projects and architect the overall system design in cooperation with software test automation discipline.
- Seasoned engineering leader with executive decision making capability: proven experience growing teams, goal setting, leading by example.
- Experience with initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balancing product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Be able to perform required analysis to ensure a successful design (stress, strain, thermal, tolerance, cost and mass optimization, etc).
- Excellence in electrical and mechanical fundamentals.
- Demonstrate schematic and PCB design expertise.
- Expertise in material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets, etc).
- Expertise in SolidWorks, CATIA, FEA simulation, GD&T, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience in deploying products in a large scale manufacturing environment and ability to come up with rapid methods for scaling and duplication of test equipment.
- Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances, owning assignments and taking full accountability for overall team success.
- Hands on embedded firmware design experience a big plus.