The Safety Restraints Engineer in Shanghai is responsible for the integration, validation and localization of seat belt and/or airbag systems being manufactured in China. This includes China domestic and export vehicles produced in the Shanghai Gigafactory. The Restraints Engineer will analyse and negotiate design considerations with tier-1 suppliers, validate installation and assembly conditions, test and validate product to regulations and support manufacturing and quality to make the most reliable and safe vehicles possible.
- Assist North American Safety Engineers in the assessment of China based Tier-1 supplier technologies and products.
- Will support the North American Engineering team with restraint design integration and validation, working closely with Safety, CAE and Test engineers for product produced in China.
- Manage design releases & ensuring corresponding Engineering & Manufacturing bill of materials is correct for all safety products in the vehicle, product packaging, drawing release, validation, etc.
- Confirm design applicability for manufacturing and general assembly processes and serviceability.
- Function as the main interaction point of contact for Chinese domestic tier-1 suppliers, ensuring they meet all timing, quality, cost and validation deliverables
- Ensure failure avoidance tools and processes (DFMEA/FMA) are applied to restraint components
- Oversee supplier component Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R) and control system level testing to ensure desired performance is achieved prior to dynamic sled and vehicle testing
- Analyze test results and identify adjustments required to either the restraint commodity or interfacing components, determining most effective resolution
Support all testing and production validation to meet occupant injury and product performance criteria per established Tesla targets, and governmental requirements.
Support crash tests from early development to homologation phase. Ensure components are supplied to correct pedigrees for all test vehicles and other vehicle level validation and homologation requirements.
- Fluent conversational and technical English, both spoken and written
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Good understanding and experience in vehicle Safety Restraint Systems and/or vehicle Crashworthiness is preferred
- Ability to analyse for cost, weight and commercial targets
- Demonstrated experience of delivering results under restrictive schedule and limited resources
- Knowledge of CAE analysis and restraint system integration and optimization
- Engineering fundamentals and mechanical aptitude in problem-solving essential
- Effective verbal and written skills to articulate technical issues with peers and suppliers
- Excellent organizational skills, self-starting and self-motivated
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task on with ability to be flexible regarding evolving priorities
- Proficient computer skills with MS Office Suite & CAD (CATIA preferred)
- Ability to travel required. Current passport and US B-1 visa is an advantage.