The Prototype Engineering Team under the New Programs Engineering group, works at the front end of the design and development cycle by designing, engineering and building, bucks, mules, demonstrators, and other prototype vehicles that serve as platforms to test new engineering concepts. Prototype Engineers interact with many cross-functional partners from the Design, Vehicle Engineering, and Powertrain Engineering teams in order to maximize learnings from prototyping activities. This is a mechanical design engineering position where product design expertise and fundamental first principles approach to problem solving are far more important than extensive automotive industry specific experience.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mechanical Design Engineering – Support vehicle engineers, mechatronic engineering technicians and prototype fabricators in defining prototype manufacturing strategies and key design criteria that outputs highly effective and manufacturable parts that solve complex mechanical challenges.
- Concept Development – Brainstorm and collaborate with engineers, designers, and users in creating new solutions for automotive applications. Develop the designs using CAD and FEA and build your designs to prove them out and refine them over time.
- Prototyping – Rapidly design and manufacture one off prototypes and integrated vehicles from the ground up on tight time frames with a talented group of mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineers.
- Own vehicle subsystems for prototype and mule builds from napkin sketch through to integrated 3D design, then build the system into a vehicle and test its functions.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a product development environment
- Hands on experience in designing and building electro-mechanical systems
- Understanding and proficiency of Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Capability to parametrically use 3D CAD software, an understanding of engineering fundamentals, and capability to run FEA
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workloads, and meet tight delivery timelines