Tesla Autopilot applies machine learning for autonomous driving at scale. Past features we've launched include Navigate on Autopilot (making lane changes and taking highway exits), Smart Summon (calling the Tesla to you in a parking lot without anyone in the vehicle), Stopping for Stop Signs and Traffic Lights and more than a dozen active safety features. Currently, we are working to release full-self-driving on city streets.
The team actively collects massive datasets from our customer fleet, creates ground truth of labeled images and videos, and deploys deep neural networks to our fleet of more than a million Tesla cars.
As the Project Management Intern for the AI and Data Annotations teams, you will take ownership of the training sets of specific projects (ex. stop signs) and make them large, high quality and diverse. You will identify areas where neural networks struggle (ex. even blue stop signs!), work with engineers to formalize requirements and deliverables for the data annotation team, and close the loop by helping ship improved models to our fleet of a million Tesla's. Thus, you run the "data engine," the process by which we improve neural networks via data annotation.
To learn more, check out these talks by Andrej Karpathy our Director of AI: ScaledML 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7BXih7zx8 and CVPR 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2R2T631x7k
We are looking for candidates with:
- Manage projects through ideation, development, pilot and implementation
- Identify areas where neural networks struggle
- Design annotation ontology with Autopilot engineers and data annotators
- Leverage the Tesla fleet to source interesting data to annotate
- Partner with the data annotation leadership team to set goals, forecast timelines, ensure goals are met
- Dive into the details including annotating data yourself and testing out new features in labeling interfaces
- Identify process inefficiencies and improve workflows with Autopilot Leadership, Project Management and Engineering teams
- Preferably a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in progress.
- Previous internship experience related to project/program management and artificial intelligence
- Understanding of machine learning basics (training vs. test set, overfitting, precision/recall etc.)
- Excellent work ethic, communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to adapt quickly in a very fast pace environment. You like simultaneous opportunities and challenges in a rapidly evolving company
- Passion for the future of transportation and autonomous technologies