Tesla Boulder is developing advanced anode technology for Tesla’s future electric vehicle products. This R&D center performs anode composition and chemistry research and advances promising technologies into the prototype stage while interfacing with various Tesla teams who perform fundamental research, research support, and carry out cell prototyping and cell production work.
We are looking for a highly motivated Junior Engineer to participate in electrode process development work to accelerate our next generation battery program. This job includes the transfer of lab-scale processes and components into prototype level processes and components. This role will be involved in the design, development, and ramping of advanced anode electrode processes, while working in a cross-fuctional team to test and validate product design changes.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in highly motivated and capable team to make unbelievable things into reality.
- Support process scaling development to produce advanced high energy density electrodes
- Develop and optimize lab scale electrode processing conditions, and define and execute pilot level process development plan
- Conduct systematic processing experiments using electrode formulations as defined by the materials engineering team to identify key parameters for control over product quality, film network, and electrochemical performance
- Support analysis of electrode performances and determine their relationship with materials and process parameters in order to take independent steps to iterate on process improvement to reach target cell performance specifications
- Document electrode processing parameters and communicate key learnings to cross-functional teams to enable transition towards production development
- Interface with equipment suppliers through concept development, system design iteration, procurement, installation, and acceptance testing
- Support work in the laboratory/shop environment with analytical equipment (CV, TGA, DSC, SEM, data logger, thermal sensing devices, voltmeter, etc.)
- Support reviews of technology proceedings and papers to broaden knowledge, project future trends and propose directions in energy storage technology development
- BS degree or equivalent experience in Materials Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineer, or Industrial Engineer
- Demonstrable experience in process development and engineering success for powder and/or chemical materials conversion
- Hands-on experience with Li-ion batteries at the R&D level, battery testing equipment, laboratory settings, are highly preferred
- Strong engineering and scientific background in an autonomous working culture
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and detailed documentation skills in English
- Skilled at supporting multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and ability to pro-actively execute those priorities
- Self-motivated and a self-starter with hands-on skills
- Team oriented attitude required