The Automation Development Team at Tesla in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota designs and builds automated machinery used to manufacture Tesla vehicles and energy products around the world. We are seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer
to join our group. The primary function of this position is to design robust machinery and support the entire project cycle from concept development through installation and start of production.
- Use mechanical engineering fundamentals, analysis, and design software to create complete mechanical design concepts for robust, low-risk, and cost efficient machine designs that will complete the project scope within the budget and schedule parameters defined by the project scope documents.
- Identify areas of risk and work quickly to develop prototypes and test methods to mitigate risk.
- Know and understand the project scope, specifications, and any regulatory requirements that are applicable to the machine being developed.
- Complete additional analysis as required to ensure the machine design will meet all project and production requirements.
- Attend meetings including project status and review meetings, checkout meetings, and acceptance meetings.
- Work with internal drafting resources to ensure complete and organized detailed print packages and coordinate and conduct release to fabrication meetings.
- Work with component suppliers to specify and acquire quotes for commercial machine components.
- Provide frequent communication to Project Manager regarding project execution status, schedule and financial status, and scope changes.
- Support the fabrication and assembly processes for the project as required.
- Participate in mechanical debug activities to ensure the machine assembly and debug phases of the project are completed on schedule.
- Know, understand, and execute all company standard operating procedures related to the machine design and build process.
This job operates in a professional office and assembly shop floor environment. Employees may also work at other Tesla manufacturing sites. While performing the duties of this job, employees may be exposed to moving mechanical parts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile.
- The employee is required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.
- This position requires the occasional use of basic hand tools
- This position requires standing, sitting, walking, bending, kneeling, and stooping for long lengths of time.
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday. Flexible hours are available, as is the ability to work from home. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Up to 20% travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field from an accredited institution
Preferred Education and Experience
- Extremely strong mechanical aptitude and ability to conceptualize and create mechanical designs
- Proficiency in using solid modeling CAD design software (SolidWorks highly preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with specific ability to write at a professional and technical level
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Desire to work in an extremely fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Activities, duties, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.