The Role – Material Planner (Raw Materials)
Tesla Motors is seeking a motivated, experienced, and knowledgeable Material Planner to work in Manufacturing Production Control. The ideal candidate will have experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably working with medium to high volume products. The Material Planner will work with Demand Planning group to fully understand MRP demand and supply needs and balance those against operational goals including LEAN manufacturing principles. This position will require a person that is capable of understanding the details of manufacturing processes, translating those into appropriate supply plans, and executing successfully against those plans.
- Understand lead times for the parts and the effects to Material Planning, including the variation of the logistics lead time to ensure on time supply.
- Understand in depth the technical functionality of MRP (Materials Requirement Planning) process including the effect of yield factors, safety stock and multiple sources of demand.
- Understand in depth EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) communications including technical aspects and troubleshooting to ensure proper information is delivered to the suppliers.
- Plan, schedule, and manage the materials for delivering time-critical components to support assigned production area and/or service areas.
- Plan material requirements from multiple demand sources: production, service, engineering, re-manufacturing, other OEMs.
- Work with suppliers to establish the appropriate delivery quantity and frequency for Just In Time delivery and line-side replenishment quantities; coordinate with Supply Chain Specialist and Logistics as needed, ultimately ensuring the right quantity at the right time to achieve production goals (no production line impact).
- Maintain accurate open Purchase Order lines to define the inbound quantities and due dates from vendors.
- Identify system demand and/or BOM issues, and resolve inventory discrepancies.
- Generate and provide vendor forecasts on a regular basis to support production build plan, minimize freight costs, and optimize inventory levels.
- Using the inbound logistics tools, monitor the supplier shipments status and define appropriate actions if shipment is out of standard.
- Work with sourcing team and vendors on raw material and capacity staging/buffers strategies to provide flexibility in product replenishment
- Monitor and report adjustments on raw material inventories staged at suppliers to ensure inventory accuracy at all locations.
- Manage the process to track, limit, and reduce excess and obsolete raw material inventory in the supply chain.
- Proactively communicate and drive to immediate solutions if raw material deliveries or customer service is impacted.
- Highlight issues and opportunities to drive improved supply chain operational performance and achieve business objectives.
- Lead key projects to evolve material planning system capabilities as well as to improve the raw material space.
- Perform ad hoc analysis and reporting as required: What if scenarios, Inventory health, Obsolescence projections, etc.
- Calculate Safety Stock Levels using the statistical formula for Safety Stock (Service Level, Leadtime, Demand and standard deviations)
- Maintain MRP master data parameters to ensure accurate signals for quantity and dates generated by MRP (i.e. lead times, MOQ’s, lot sizing, and safety stock) to minimize excess.
- Assist in implementing systematic solutions to control inventory flow, minimize shortages, and maintain accuracy in ERP system.
- Provide ongoing transparency of inventory levels and ensure continuous inventory accuracy
- Ensure target inventory levels are achieved, avoiding inventory shortages and overages.
- Understand supplier readiness including technical challenges.
- Understand how the Manufacturing BOM (MBOM) is created from the Engineering BOM (EBOM) and have the ability to analyze, audit and propose the appropriate MBOM structure including option codes and multi-level structures and types.
- Collaborate with Purchasing, Engineering, Change Control, and Document Control to coordinate Engineering Change Order timing, targeting minimal obsolescence.
- Coordinate supplier ramp up and ramp down for new product launches. Responsible for ramping suppliers to achieve build plan targets.
- Identify potential supply risks and inventory exposures by aligning supply chain processes with product development project plan milestones.
- Work fluidly in a highly cross-functional team environment involving manufacturing and product development teams, as well as supply chain specialists, manufacturing engineers, materials and logistics personnel.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Supply Chain, Management Engineering, Logistics, Industrial Engineering, or related.
- Eight (8) years of experience the job offered or eight (8) years of experience in logistics or purchasing.
- Experience managing Raw Materials, Subcontract setups, and Inventory Shelf Life.
- Analytical capabilities including data analysis to optimize delivery costs and inventory levels.
- Proficiency in MS Excel required.
- Knowledge of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software, particularly Enovia Matrix One.
- Knowledge of various ERP/MRP systems required.
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously with high degrees of variation and uncertainty and prioritize tasks based on demand.
- Problem solving ability in cross-functional and multi-cultural environment.
- Open-minded, collaborative and team-oriented attitude.