The Supply Chain Material Planner is responsible for ensuring raw materials, components and subassemblies are delivered to Tesla production sites to support production needs, at optimal efficiency. This individual must fully understand Tesla’s supply chain and production operations, as well as be an expert on their assigned product or commodities. They will deploy inventory strategies, be responsible for product change and associated material planning implications, manage and solve exceptions, and drive supplier execution. This role involves daily management of supply and constraints, status reporting and escalation, supplier engagement and the relentless pursuit of operational excellence and continuous improvement. The Supply Chain Material Planner role is typically global in scope, and requires cross-functional engagement within Tesla and across the extended supply chain.
- Create and deploy supply requirements to the supply base via MRP which achieves production, inventory and cost objectives. Ensure demand from all sources (production, aftermarket, engineering, etc.) is supported appropriately.
- Manage safety stock levels and optimize logistical efficiency by managing EOQs
- Manage planning system parameters and master data to optimally reflect supply chain capabilities and plan supply.
- Deliver clear-to-build status, material coverage, run-out reports and other analyses as needed to plan production and business targets. Provide data-driven decision support to the broader organization through what-if and scenario planning (as examples).
- Apply analytics and supply chain expertise to manage system parameters and meet target inventory and service level goals while minimizing costs and obsolescence.
- Build and maintain operational partnerships with assigned suppliers. Act as the primary interface with suppliers on delivery status, issues and resolution. Escalate to commercial or technical partners when required (procurement, accounts payable, quality, engineering, etc.).
- Support onboarding and training of new suppliers to ensure operational excellence and compliance with Tesla’s supply chain processes and policies.
- Coordinate supplier ramp up and down for new product launches, ensuring suppliers deliver shipments needed to support production targets.
- Manage engineering changes to minimize obsolete inventory and ensure continuous supply.
- Partner with IT and other business stakeholders on planning process and system improvements.
- At least 3 years’ experience in manufacturing, finance, or supply chain management.
- Bachelors or Masters in Supply Chain, Finance, Industrial Engineering or similar discipline. CPIM or APIC training is a plus.
- High Proficiency in MS Excel (advanced)
Strong knowledge of MRP/ERP with a solid understand of discrete manufacturing, bills of material, product lifecycle management, procure to pay processes and supply chain operations.
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to evaluate and analyze data to enable operational decision-making or present clear recommendations to leadership.
Demonstrated skills in supplier operational and relationship management.
Passionate and high energy, with the diplomacy and cooperative style necessary to positively influence others, both inside and outside of Tesla.
Ability to write, speak and present effectively and persuasively.
Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Flexibility and adaptability are key.
Detail-oriented and organized.