The purpose of the Tesla Materials Engineering organization is to facilitate the Tesla mission of accelerating the world to sustainable transportation via identification, development and insertion of advanced materials and processes while supporting other Tesla Engineering and Manufacturing functions with materials expertise.
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Manufacturing Engineer to specify and design high-pressure die casting (HPDC) lines. This will include specifying and laying out new Equipment, such as melt Furnaces, die Cast Machines and the associated peripherals. In addition to specifying and procuring equipment via detailed RFQ’s, the engineer will also be responsible to specify the equipment space and utility needs to internal facilities team. Beyond specifying and procuring equipment, engineer will also work with the suppliers and internal project managers to track fabrication, installation and commissioning of equipment. After commissioning the line, manufacturing engineer is required to work with the process team and track the performance (OEE), with all supporting documentation. The engineer will also work with maintenance and controls and support with work instructions. Following hand over of the casting line to process team, the Engineer will move on to development of the next line, but in many cases, multiple lines will be in various stages of development simultaneously, so effective multitasking and time management of dynamic priorities is a key.
- Author specifications via detailed well-written equipment RFQ’s
- Collaborate with equipment design team to maximize operational efficiency
- Conceptualize manufacturing processes that support every day operations and enable cost-savings
- Lead the investigation and adoption of new manufacturing technologies and processes
- Collaborate with small teams on in-house development of novel technologies
- Closely collaborate with external equipment suppliers on custom manufacturing methodologies
- Manage external equipment integrators from equipment development through buyoff
- Validate and characterize new equipment and fixtures for production implementation
- Create detailed Manufacturing Instructions to document new processes
- Install, integrate and commission new lines
- BS/MS Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent.
- New equipment installations.
- 3+ years of manufacturing engineering experience.
- Experience developing manufacturing processes for new and unique products.
- Experience transitioning products from prototype to production.
- Experience designing mechanical equipment, fixturing and tooling in CAD (Catia preferred, SolidWorks will be considered)
- Experience designing manufacturing lines in 2D (AutoCAD) and 3D (Catia) environments.
- Experience developing automated manufacturing equipment.
- Experience introducing new equipment and new processes into a production environment Extensive project management experience.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.