Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Manufacturing Engineer to develop and engineer new processes and high volume automation equipment with the Drive Unit Assembly Manufacturing Engineering team. These production lines include highly automated manufacturing systems for Rotors, Stators, Motors and Drive Unit assembly and testing. You work closely with Tesla’s internal Product Design, Operations, Facilities, Production and Quality Engineering teams and coordinates cross-functional design activities with tool vendors to develop new Drive Unit manufacturing equipment. You will assume full ownership of the design and technical transfer of the line’s tools to Tesla Operations, qualifying them for use with the highest standards of safety, quality, and output.
- Develop new manufacturing processes for existing and new products.
- Provide Design for Manufacturing feed-back to Product Design Engineering team.
- Manage the procurement, construction and deployment of highly automated production equipment.
- Define and oversee Factory Acceptance Test and Site Acceptance Test of manufacturing equipment.
- Manage suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of manufacturing equipment
- Oversee installation and ensure ramp-up of Drive Unit manufacturing equipment.
- Design workstations, manufacturing equipment and fixtures in-house to support early stage prototype builds.
- Participate in early prototype product builds to characterize and develop both product and process critical parameters.
- Develop layouts of production workstations and assembly lines for product flow, ergonomics and efficiency.
- Collaborate with Production Engineering, EH&S, Quality, Operations and Product Design regularly.
- Optimize product flow and line efficiency by designing or improving tools, jigs, stations, work methods and ergonomics.
- Characterize baseline performance and capability of each system and drive actions to maintain or improve performance as measured by product quality, cycle time and machine availability.
- Identify and drive continuous improvement and cost reduction programs.
- Drive process control and process development, specifically in the areas of quality and equipment capability.
- Generate and maintain machine documentations.
- Oversee technician/operator training on the equipment.
- Actively use tool data sources (e.g. MES reports) to quantitatively evaluate and track tool performance and create programs to improve relevant metrics.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) with minimum 2 years prior experience in similar field.
- Experience collaborating with Controls Engineer to develop complex servo-controlled motion control and PLC driven systems.
- Strong hands-on experience with high-volume and pilot manufacturing.
- Working knowledge of data analysis, statistics, SPC.
- Proficient in complex electro-mechanical system design, GD&Ts from concept to detailing.
- Proficiency creating detailed drawings from solid models for various fabrication techniques (CNC/manual machining, welding, sheet metal forming)
- Proven track record of data driven methodology to solve complex problems.
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment.
- Experience introducing new products and new processes into a production environment
- Proficiency using 2D & 3D CAD to generate Layout ,assembly models and detailed part drawings for fabrication (AutoCAD and Solidworks preferred, Catia is a plus)