Tesla is seeking highly motivated manager to lead the Manufacturing Engineering team for the General Assembly at Gigafactory Berlin. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. You will push your limits, and work with talented teams in turning the unbelievable into reality. You will foster an environment where superior work is rewarded, and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of building new teams and leading complex, high-volume manufacturing projects in areas like Production, Operations, Quality Engineering, product Design, etc. This role will lead engineers to design, development, commission, and ramp high-throughput manufacturing lines. This is a cross-functional role that requires coordination between many different groups within and outside of Tesla.
- Collaborate with the General Assembly team to propose solutions for Tesla’s next generation designs.
- Build and direct an engineering team on all aspects of critical manufacturing improvement programs – design; development qualification; delivery into high volume production
- Develop manufacturing methods and select equipment necessary for high volume series production.
- Ability to manage workload while contributing to a positive, team-oriented work environment
- Skilled at leading, coaching and developing direct reports across a broad range of engineering and technical disciplines
- Experience with budgeting, forecasting and financial planning for a large technical team
- Define and oversee Factory Acceptance Test and Site Acceptance Test of manufacturing equipment.
- Lead reviews during the launch and ramp period, support plant and company leadership to make right decisions,
- Organize and prioritize work with minimal guidance and manage priorities, projects and special requests in a timely and effective manner.
- Characterize baseline performance and capability of each system and drive actions to maintain or improve performance as measured by product quality and tool availability.
- Identify and drive continuous improvement and cost reduction programs.
- Set and maintain the most up to date standards for product quality related.
- Drive cross functional projects with supply chain, production, and research teams
- Lead FMEA activities to ensure design and manufacturing issues are identified and risks mitigated
- Work independently and with vendors to understand root cause of failures, propose design or component changes, and implement and validate equipment modifications.
- Generate machine documentation for operations and maintenance.
- Oversee technician/operator training on the equipment.
- Establish machine maintenance schedule and spares list.
- Drive other projects as needed by management or as business needs change.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar. Alternatively, the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Minimum 10 years prior experience in manufacturing and automation design.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience directly in EV or hybrid motor manufacturing.
- Expert with SolidWorks or other 3D CAD software.
- Understanding of automation systems, mechanical engineering, robotics, PLCs, data collection systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively achieve results with multiple vendors and internal and external customers.
- Strong hands-on experience with high-volume and pilot manufacturing.
- Working knowledge of data analysis, statistics, SPC.
- Able to maintain organization and focus in a highly dynamic environment.
- Excellent communicator, both in presentations and written reports.
- Proven ability to work well with production personnel of all levels.
- Able to travel 30% of the time, both domestically and internationally.
- Fluent in English OR German