Tesla’s Mobile Robot Engineering team designs, builds, and integrates fully in-house autonomous mobile robot vehicles to power the next generation of highly scalable and flexible manufacturing lines across Tesla's growing factory and product portfolio. These Robot Systems can also be called automated guided vehicles or AGVs. The team joins mechanical, electrical, software, and manufacturing engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative team. Successful team members have “T-shaped” skillsets; they have deep expertise in their focus area but are also capable of solving problems in adjacent disciplines. The ideal candidate takes pride in her/his hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. She/He appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility.
The successful candidate will develop new manufacturing lines for autonomous mobile robots. Applying an in-depth knowledge of lean manufacturing principles, they will be responsible for manufacturing sequences, production layouts, fabrication instructions, equipment selection and commissioning. After the start of initial production, the candidate will lead continuous improvement initiatives, using KPIs to optimize process parameters and scaling manufacturing operations for full-scale production.
- Define and implement production solutions for new products.
- Design of manufacturing equipment; conveyance, lift assists, jig, fixtures, trolleys, etc.
- Develop equipment specifications and requirements based on product constraints
- Develop RFQs
- Provide factory layout and 3D design solutions.
- Conduct equipment design reviews and provide design guidance to vendors.
- Manage equipment suppliers through all phases of projects.
- Coordination with other process, mechanical, electrical and support disciplines including project managers, manufacturing reps, and other stakeholders.
- Interface with external Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) firms during bid and project execution phases as needed to ensure that designs and specifications meet Tesla Engineering Standards
- Participate in on-field construction and commissioning activities by serving as the point of contact for technical questions and real-time issue resolution.
- Interface with customers, suppliers, and functional owners to coordinate project activities and remediate project issues.
- Draft qualification protocols and manage equipment qualification activities.
- Provide equipment validation documentation
- Identify, quantify, compare, and execute production process improvements to drive safety, ergonomics, quality, performance, and capital utilization.
- Calculate, propose, and implement improvements to the production systems.
- Educate and engage cross-functional teams in importance of continuous improvement.
- BS Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years related experience in a technology based industry, where automated manufacturing techniques are utilized.
- Innate ability to fully comprehend new processes and systems quickly, with high attention to detail.
- Creative capacity for developing new ways to do things better, cheaper, faster in alignment with the aggressive Tesla approach to revolutionary product development.
- Proficiency designing processes, mechanical equipment, fixtures and tooling in CAD (Solidworks and/or Catia). Understanding of GD&T
- Proficiency creating detailed build plans and instructions for various fabrication and mechanical assembly techniques.
- Experience with ergonomic process design, part variation control, and human factors effects on product.
- Hands-on skills with hardware, tools, instruments, general electromechanical systems, measurement techniques.
- Proficiency designing factory layouts with AutoCAD 2D.
- Experience introducing new equipment and new processes into a production environment
- Experience scaling production systems from initial production to series volumes.
- Knowledge of automated equipment systems and tools - robotic, vision, material handling, Conveyors, PLC, HMI, etc.
- Travel required – 10%