Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Engineer for our facilities in the California Bay Area. You will be responsible for performing the preparation of mechanical engineering studies, contract drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates; evaluate project scopes, develop design criteria, budgets for design services, and design schedules; provide technical advice and assistance to facility and other owners in matters related to mechanical engineering; audit mechanical engineering designs performed by consultants; lead project teams in the preparation of mechanical engineering designs including preparation of request for proposals (RFP), design coordination, status reporting, schedule reporting, budget reporting, and brief senior staff. The mechanical engineering designs include, but not be limited to, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, cooling and heating hydronic systems including cooling towers and chiller plants, plumbing design and Fire Protection performance specifications.
- Prepares a variety of engineering deliverables (Basis of Design and Engineering narratives, preliminary code research, Conceptual Design, Fire Protection performance specifications
- Manages and audits design services performed by consultants including preparing RFP scope and independent cost estimate, critically reviewing consultant proposals, negotiating cost, ensuring schedule/budget compliance, auditing scope conformance and quality, and reviewing consultant performance.
- Reviews shop drawings and submittals within schedule and resolving difficult field issues in a timely manner.
- Complete understanding and familiarity with calculating, sizing and selecting mechanical and hydraulic equipment, distribution and infrastructure. Including but not limited to: Thermal Oxidizers, Air Scrubbers, Dust Collectors, Heat Exchangers (shell/tube, plate/frame, brazed fin), Chillers, Cooling Towers, Pumps, Air Handling Units, Terminal Units, Fans / Blowers, Pumps, DOAS Units, Control Valves and Instrumentation, Hazardous Exhaust, Dehumidification Units, Heat Recovery Systems, Energy Savings Equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline. International Codes Council (ICC) Suite of Codes (codes including Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Energy Conservation, Fuel Gas, and Fire Codes), ASHRAE Handbooks / Standards, SMACNA Standards
- Identifying opportunities for innovation and making recommendations that are supported by the analysis and are consistent with code and good engineering practice
- Actively coordinates with internal/external team members.
- Responsible for defining project schedules for HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection.
- Respond to code comments and resolves permit issues with code officials
- Assist in resolving construction conflicts and answers questions from contractors and bidders
- Provide in-field or on-site surveys and inspections and draft subsequent site report
- Ensure the installation of the mechanical system meets the plans and specifications of the original design and the expectations of the client
- Resolving design issues creatively and thoroughly coordinating design with other disciplines.
- Review Mechanical design packages from other team members
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Minimum of 5 years mechanical experience with industrial equipment, distribution, and infrastructure
- Excellent communication skills essential for team-based working
- Experience in design Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems and some plumbing and fire protection design experience
- Professional Design Experience in a wide range of project types including: industrial cooling tower systems, chiller plants, boiler plants, office, mission critical/data centers, high tech/R&D, bio-tech/pharmaceutical and industrial
- Knowledge and experience with writing sequences of operation
- Experience in writing engineering reports and assess systems and construction quality
- Construction Administration experience including site observation visits and review of RFIs, and shop drawings
- Capable of managing multiple complex projects simultaneously and directing and overseeing junior staff work for same projects
- Direct experience in the preparation of mechanical contract drawings and engineering specifications
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs such as HVAC load calculations, Pipe-flo, Microsoft Office Suite, and AutoCAD.