Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Electrical Engineer for our facilities in the California Bay Area. You will work on building factory of the future by overseeing the design of cutting-edge large-scale equipment and utility systems in support of highly innovating manufacturing processes. An Electrical Engineer for our facilities team who will be support maintaining numerous high voltage substations and low voltage electrical distribution systems and come up with cost-saving strategies based around conserving energy consumption as well as applying advanced and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in the planning, organizing, executing and coordinating of institutional remodeling, renovation, new construction, equipment replacement projects.
- Perform Energy Audits, Provide Energy Usage Calculations Circuit Analysis for critical load throughout the plant and circuit protection for Voltage Sag for critical loads
- Validation, optimization and efficiency analysis for cost savings and reduction of energy throughout the plant
- Operate equipment and program/adjust medium voltage relays
- Prepare engineering specifications for bid invitation, performed bid evaluation and conformed bid evaluations for purchase
- This position will be field based and the person should be comfortable working on operating R&D facilities with ongoing construction activity
- Coordinate downtime activities and needs between maintenance, construction, and production.
- Should be able to provide base cost estimating services within the electrical scope and work with trades to drive value for Tesla
- Evaluate quotes related to any ongoing maintenance (preventative) activities
- Reviews and provides written comments on design plans and specifications prepared by others.
- Visit construction sites to determine compliance with design intent, reporting discrepancies, errors and omissions and utilizes this input to update standards, processes and procedures
- Establishes standards and specifications for installation, modification, quality control, testing, operation, inspection and maintenance of Emergency Power Supply System (EPSS) and high voltage electrical systems according to commissioning standards, NFPA requirements, EPSS engineering principles and safety regulations
- Provide technical and configuration support for the implementation and maintenance of energy systems utilizing tracking techniques and trending software
- Assist Operations and Construction in planning outages
- Facilitates the implementation of improvements in electrical asset effectiveness, availability, and maintainability
- Drive root cause analysis on process or asset failures
- Work across sites to determine commonality and implement best practices
- Implement electrical safety programs following OSHA and NFPA 70E guidelines
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- 8-10 years of direct operations/ maintenance/construction experience building high-tech infrastructure and operational facilities (semiconductor, solar, battery, etc.)
- Experienced in the design, operation, and maintenance of complex R&D facilities
- Promote and protect Tesla’s reputation as a cutting-edge company producing the world’s most exciting cars and shifting the paradigm of personal transportation worldwide
- Use Electrical Design experience to size breakers and feeders in accordance with NEC.
- Use National Electric Code to create drawings in compliance with national codes.
- Interface and collaborate with engineers from multiple disciplines.
- Skilled in Medium Voltage and Low Voltage power distribution equipment including maintenance, troubleshooting, and programming /adjusting of medium voltage relays, transmission level transformers, switchgear, substations and circuit breakers
- Working knowledge of OSHA and UBC codes and HAZMAT safety protocols
- Ability to communicate clearly and interface at an executive level