Tesla's cell manufacturing engineering group is looking for a highly-motivated equipment development engineer to accelerate our next-generation battery cell manufacturing program. This role will be involved in the design, development, commissioning and ramping of high-throughput equipment, while working in a cross-functional team to test, validate, and roll-out process and product design changes.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in a highly motivated and capable team to make unbelievable things into reality.
- Drive design, commission and ramp of complex powder processing and handling manufacturing tool
- Work collaboratively as the equipment expert to ensure production lines run in a safe, efficient manner producing high-quality parts
- Become owner/subject matter expert to drive equipment-related process improvement including detailed troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Troubleshoot and recover processes by PLC, HMI, or tool management software, and implement changes/improvements
- Build training material, maintenance routines, and related documentation for equipment life cycle management
- Lead safety and ergonomic improvements to production equipment which meets or exceeds regulations or best practices.
- Identify equipment critical spare parts and ensure sufficient coverage to prevent extended downtime situations
- Participate in supplier/ internal equipment buyoffs
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and uptime.
- Develop and manage FMEA risk assessments to prioritize equipment improvement projects and ensure sufficient repair strategies.
- Provide hands-on support to the maintenance team to troubleshoot and resolve extended downtime situations.
- 5+ years relevant experience in interdisciplinary/integrated engineering, manufacturing engineering, or equivalent
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- Strong engineering foundations. Aptitude to learn
- Demonstrated experience ramping equipment into manufacturing - automation equipment, web handling, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls, and data capture
- Demonstrated experienced solving complex electromechanical and software systems with limited documentation to debug issues, build process know-how, and kick off improvement projects
- Structured thinking and problem-solving abilities. Proven through a number of root cause analysis following a data-driven approach, statistical software (JMP) a plus
- 2D ACAD experience in creating/validating layouts, tooling drawings, Pneumatic and electrical schematics
- Experience with robot programming, backup, and restoration a plus
Experience in automotive or high volume manufacturing is highly desired