Tesla is seeking a dynamic Environmental Specialist to join the Environmental, Health and Safety Team (EHS). The role will support various environmental compliance programs for Tesla’s Fremont Factory, located in Fremont, CA. Programs of focus include industrial stormwater, hazardous waste, industrial wastewater, spill prevention, control, and countermeasure (SPCC), and soil management. Reporting to the Environmental Affairs Manager for the California region, this role will be responsible for partnering with environmental program leads and cross-functional team members to perform regulatory and permit-required inspections, generate corrective actions and work to closure, provide environmental sampling support, improve training programs, perform data review and analyses, and perform hazardous waste determinations. Be part of the Tesla EHS Team that builds capacity, provides solutions, and drives continuous improvement throughout the Global Tesla Organization.
- Ensure Tesla operates in compliance with all federal, state, and local environmental regulations
- Identify, assess, and control environmental risks
- Coordinate and prepare hazardous waste biennial reporting, universal and electronic waste reporting, and SB-14 Waste Reduction Plans
- Prepare Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs) for submittal to sanitary district
- Prepare, update, and maintain Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), and Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans
- Perform incident analysis to determine causal factors and the most appropriate corrective actions
- Perform compliance inspections, and utilize tracking tools to issue recommendations and corrective actions to responsible stakeholders
- Prepare and maintain Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Plans and scheduling third party vendors and/or internal resources to maintain various stormwater control devices, including bioretention units and filter cartridges.
- Collect stormwater samples, review analytical data, assess the need for additional controls, and implement new controls as necessary
- Collect samples of new waste streams generated, characterize waste streams, and partnering with the Tesla Hazardous Waste Operations Team to create waste profiles with third party vendors to support disposal requirements
- Support audits and inquiries from regulatory agencies, including EPA, DTSC, CUPAs and local Fire Departments, State and Regional Waterboards, etc.
- Monitor and analyze the developing trends and changes in regulatory compliance laws, rules and regulations
- Assist in planning for changes in physical facilities, reviewing new or modified equipment and new manufacturing programs to meet regulatory and company requirements
- Develop, track, and report environmental metrics; and,
- Develop and manage Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or Environmental-related discipline
- Minimum 2+ years of experience supporting multi-media environmental compliance programs
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment, where demands and priorities change rapidly
- Ability to communicate effectively with production employees, engineers, legal counsel, technical specialists, and management, cross functionally, in a multi-disciplinary, global environment
- General foundational knowledge of EHS laws (CAA, CWA, RCRA, CEQA, DOT, CFC, Cal-OSHA, etc.), regulations, and standards
- General understanding of sustainability and environmental topics and fundamentals including sustainable design, planning, policy, waste, greenhouse gases/energy, responsible material sourcing, water, land use change, biodiversity, and EHS certification systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Previous experience preparing hazardous waste, storm water, and wastewater discharge reports is a plus
- Evidence of exceptional ability.