Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Engineering Technician to (1) accelerate the development of our cutting edge cell assembly equipment and processes and (2) expedite the introduction of new findings into production processes. Working closely with cell manufacturing engineers, the ideal candidate will play a key role in reducing cost and increasing capacity by improving existing factory equipment and introducing new factory equipment. This is an exciting opportunity to build a world class manufacturing facility right here in the Bay Area. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of an incredibly exciting product. In addition to building manufacturing equipment with manufacturing engineers, the Engineering Technician works daily with senior Technicians, keeping the development area where we build our next-level factory equipment organized, well-stocked, and well-tooled.
The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, craftsmanship, organizational skills and attention to detail. Tesla is an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. The ideal candidate looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job, but also provides guidance to more junior peers as well as being able to work efficiently with minimal guidance.
· Assembly of electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment for production products’ factories in Fremont and other locations.
· Assembly of prototype manufacturing equipment for Manufacturing Engineering R&D.
· Execute technician tasks independently after initial instruction.
· Execute technician tasks while deployed at a different building than the project’s engineer.
· Oversee and advise the group’s other technicians’ craftsmanship.
· Lead other technicians’ work on large assembly projects.
· Work closely with the Production organization’s maintenance group beyond authoring PMI’s, to collaboratively equip maintenance with the skills necessary to maintain factory equipment.
· Direct daily interaction with the Cell Engineering engineers responsible for equipment projects, bringing questions and problems to the engineers as necessary.
· Experience reading mechanical drawings and assembly per mechanical drawings
· Proficient in reading electrical schematics and wiring electrical control panels or equipment remote actuators and inputs and outputs as well plumbing equipment, pneumatic or/and hydraulic lines
· Experience redlining electrical and fluid schematics for updates
· Experience in characterizing and validating new equipment and fixtures capability, repeatability and capacity prior to introduction to the production floor
· Knowledgeable about production quality metrics is a plus
· Experience introducing new products and new processes into a production environment
· Capable to open and edit electrical or fluid schematics using AutoCad software
· Working knowledge of DC/AC electrical systems
· PLC: troubleshooting or programming equipment (Allen Bradley, Siemens)
· Robotics troubleshooting or programming (Fanuc, Kuka)
· Experience and/or exposure to Machining: NC machine tools; mill, lathe, saws, grinding equipment
· Experience and/or exposure to CNC machines: Haas, DMG, Mazak, Matsuura, Emmegi
· Experience with conveyor systems: Logomat, Bosch, B&R, friction, gravity
· Ability to purchase made-to-spec parts and assemblies from a variety of local vendors via PO’s.
· Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
· Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
· Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $27.00 - $39.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Panel Building and Wire Harness: 2 years (Required)
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place