Tesla is seeking a Controls Engineer on the Plastics/Paint Manufacturing Engineering team to be part of a world-class team of engineers that are responsible for designing and building the automation and robotic equipment at Tesla Plastics/Paint facilities. As a Controls Engineer, you are responsible for implementing equipment controls solutions for all cell manufacturing projects. This includes design, architecture and implementation of automated equipment such as automated storage systems, robotics, automated case and pallet conveyance, automated guided vehicles, fixtures, etc. Controls Engineers own equipment controls standard, hardware programming, robot programming, commissioning and review process of the project as well as additional functions such as auditing, installation and safety assessment.
- Program and debug structure text and ladder logic code on multiple PLC controller platforms (Rockwell, Siemens, Beckhoff, etc.)
- Develop code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable
- Create robust programs and sequences to control complex, multi-station machinery to perform processes such as material pick and place, dispense, fastening, welding, testing and material transport
- Create intuitive operator touchscreen interfaces using TwinCAT HMI/WinCC and SCADA dashboards screens using Ignition
- Set up and tune servo drives and VFDs for fast and smooth operation (Beckhoff, Siemens, SEW)
- Design and implement control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high-volume manufacturing equipment as per codes and standards
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits
- Participate in Tesla controls specification and standard creation, release to Vendor and quote technical evaluation
- Enforce application of Tesla controls standards, manage suppliers during specification, design review, design approval
- Manage suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of automated manufacturing equipment
- Introduce automated processes into production, and train and equip Sustaining Team to support automated equipment after deployment into production
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and uptime.
- Managing the network and hardware IT infrastructure
- BS in electrical, mechatronics, or mechanical engineering.
- 3+ years of professional controls engineering experience.
- 3+ years of advanced PLC programming knowledge on Rockwell, Siemens or equivalent PLCs in a professional environment.
- Understanding of databases and various program languages (Java, Python).
- HMI programming experience – Ignition and Wonderware
- Robotic programming skills desired.
- Vision system desired.
- Proven project management experience.
- Proficient in CAD working with electrical diagrams and prints.
- Flexibility in working weekends and night shift as required