Tesla’s cell engineering team is looking for a highly motivated engineer to lead the cross-functional design and validation of new battery cell designs. This role would serve as the technical project leader, driving efforts both within Tesla and with the external cell manufacturer.
You will use your engineering expertise to collaborate with subject matter experts across cell engineering, product design, manufacturing, and supply chain to accelerate new technologies from lab to production scale. Success in this role requires the ability to work across teams and synthesize many inputs into the best final design.
- Drive key engineering decisions with Tesla teams and external cell manufacturers to push new cell designs from concept to mass production.
- Collaborate with internal design teams to define cell electrochemical, mechanical, and safety performance requirements.
- Negotiate requirements and final product specification with cell manufacturers.
- Define test plans to validate new cell designs and root cause new failure modes. Synthesize test results into program level impacts and report regularly to Tesla leadership.
- B.S. or higher in a related technical discipline and 3+ years of experience in hardware development.
- Strong engineering fundamentals and ability to apply past learning to root cause new problems.
- Demonstrated success working with cross-functional engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Direct experience in lithium-ion cell design, cell qualification, cell manufacturing, project management, battery module design, and/or supply chain a plus.
- Quarterly post-Covid overseas travel expected.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.