Tesla’s key technological advantage lies in its Powertrain products:
- Battery Pack (for Model S/3/X/Y)
- Drive Units (for Model S/3/X/Y)
- Power Electronics and Energy Products (Inverter, Supercharger, Powerwall, Powerpack, Megapack)
The Powertrain Manufacturing Controls team delivers new manufacturing lines to produce these products at Tesla’s production sites. As an Automation Controls Engineer, you will be directly responsible for the design and implementation of these manufacturing lines. Join our team to build the machines producing world-leading products and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
- Design and launch manufacturing equipment for new products being mass-produced for the first time.
- Develop next generation controls systems that merge traditional PLC logic with the benefits of a modern software stack.
- Be the person capable of doing it all. Perform hands-on work with full-scale production equipment, from initial commissioning to mass production and ramp.
- Contribute to Tesla’s hardware and software standards for future equipment development.
- Lead machine suppliers to successful project delivery. Collaborate on high-level machine and line designs decisions, lead supplier design reviews and factory acceptance testing, and coordinate across multiple internal teams to land a successful production line at any Tesla facility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent or 6+ year of relevant working experience
- PLC programming, HMI programming, Software programming (Python), and Robot programming (Fanuc)
- Electrical design and field wiring experience
- Hands-on experience building, fixing and troubleshooting things using common hand tools and diagnostic tools such as multimeters