- Review the accuracy and completeness of assignments.
- Define individual accountability and milestones to meet project objectives.
- Communicates performance expectations and provides assistance to resolve problems encountered by the team
- Mentor or serve as a resource to share specialized knowledge with others.
- Maintain leadership and technical capabilities through continued education or training.
- Recruit, train and develop new engineering, supervisory and technician talent as required to meet department staffing needs.
- Actively participate and provide leadership for Lean Vehicle assembly initiatives across the Vehicle assembly department.
- Actively provide safety leadership including, Job Hazard Analysis, Safety Training, Chemical Safety, Safety Audits and Safety Incident Reviews
Interact with internal and external process development partners to define robust assembly processes.
- Define and execute process development studies to create, characterize, and optimize vehicle assembly processes
- Utilize SPC data and tools to characterize all equipment processes for operating limits, robustness, and action limits.
- Ensure consistency of process engineering methodology to all processes
- Use leadership, technical, and business system skills to drive process improvements throughout all vehicle assembly
- Monitor project schedules, timelines and deliverables using standard project management tools and engineering systems.
- Generate and/or review engineering and qualification protocols to support equipment qualification
- Generate documentation for change controls, as required.
- Optimize work content to achieve a safe work environment, meet budget expectations, exceed build quality standards for all vehicles produced in Fremont.
Actively participate as part of the senior management team for all Vehicle assembly operations on a day to day basis
- Partner with production, engineering and maintenance managers to build a cohesive leadership team for the Vehicle assembly department
- Provide periodic communications via reports, presentations and meeting to various stakeholders across the Vehicle assembly organization, including;
- First Pass Yield Reports, Scrap Cost Report, Project Activity & Achievements, Change Controls Tracking Reports, RCCA Reports
- Generate and execute business improvement ideas for cost reduction, labor savings, material flow and safety
Progressive career growth demonstrating a path to senior management in a technical organization
- Hands-on skills with diagnostics software, hardware, tools, instruments, general electromechanical systems, measurement techniques
- Experience with ergonomic process design, part variation control, and human factors effects on product
- Data collection and analysis experience, ideally in a Test or Quality capacity
- Strong ability to work and communicate effectively with team and peers within a vehicle assembly and engineering organization. This includes excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and email.
- Strong problem solving skills and an aptitude for learning systems quickly
- Exceptional capacity for managing simultaneous activities and challenges
- Creative capacity for developing new ways to do things better, cheaper, faster in alignment with the aggressive Tesla approach to revolutionary product development
- Other assigned work by the line manager
- BS degree in CS, EE, ME or equivalent
- Electronics, consumer goods, or vehicle assembly experience