The Metrology Associate Manager will lead one of the Gigafactory Metrology team which is under the quality group supporting one of the production lines of the GigaFactory. He will be reporting to the Metrology Manager and will manage a team of Engineers and Metrology technicians He will perform dimensional investigations as well as working with Design and Manufacturing group to build and inspect new line’s tooling
Manage a team of Metrology technicians, Supervisors and Dimensional Engineers
- Improve Lab operations and processes
- Support Metrology Manager in staffing, equipment needs and continuous improvement & training.
- Act as specialist in ‘applied metrology’ and provide support to manufacturing and design areas in development of appropriate measurement methods, including researching and recommending new technologies, analyzing existing measurement
methods, and training as required.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineers, Design Engineers and Quality Engineers to understand their needs and develop measurement techniques, processes and procedures which meet Tesla’s requirements.
- Provide dimensional expertise to support improvement projects (cycle time, efficiency, safety, etc).
- Analyze and break down dimensional data to identify source of problems (Sub assembly, Tooling, Supplier part, etc).
- Actively monitor dimensional accuracy of drive unit and battery product thru various measurement systems (CMM, Faro, Check fixture, Romer, Laser Tracker, 3D scanner, etc).
- Provide day to day production support on quality concerns and develop and implement short/long term countermeasure to quality problems while maintaining operation efficiency.
- Standardize progress by developing, deploying, and training others on dimensional engineering best practices.
- Communicates cross-functionally on design directions and requirements
- Support incoming inspection correlation with various external suppliers
- Provide expertise on GD&T best practices and closely work with Quality and Design engineer to make sure that datum scheme and tolerances are accurate for the form, fit and function of the assemblies
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering
- Minimally 10 years of experience in quality, metrology or design engineering
- Excellent understanding of GD&T and ability to create datum strategies that minimize tolerance stack-up in critical areas
- Strong mechanical intuition and extensive hands on experience modifying tooling, fixtures, etc…
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and make correction if needed
- Experienced with CAD design software (CATIA is a must)
- Experienced using measurement tools for root cause diagnostics (Faro arm, CMM, 3D scanner, Polyworks)
- Strong understanding of statistics to identify critical process parameters.
- Strong communication and team working skills at all levels of an organization
- Ability to present simple solutions to complex problems and influence key change directives to other engineering teams.
- Strong interpersonal ability, to manage engineers, supervisors and technicians