The New Programs Engineering team is looking for an exceptional CFD Aerodynamicist who is motivated to change the way people think about their vehicles. Unrivaled range, ludicrous performance, top-of-the-line comfort and long-term reliability depend on delivering exterior designs that are as aesthetically appealing as they are aerodynamically efficient. Day-to-day activities include developing new CFD tools and methodologies, running simulations, developing automation processes as well as running a wide range of correlation projects. In many ways, the New Programs Engineering team operates much like a start-up, functioning as a small team able to move incredibly quickly on a wide variety of design challenges. If you can think of a way of making the vehicles better, or have an idea to improve the development process, you are empowered to champion and develop that idea and see it implemented.RESPONSIBILITIES
- CFD tools and methodology development – responsible for the continual development of Tesla’s external aerodynamic CFD methodologies and complete workflow processes. This will include improving the accuracy, speed and robustness of simulations, as well as creating and developing methods to improve the analysis of CFD data.
- Develop, set up and validate new simulation workflows for a variety of aerodynamic related problems, including aero-acoustics, water management, soiling and brake cooling.
- Work with a wide cross functional team to develop and conduct experimental tests to provide data to correlate CFD simulations.
- Help in developing creative solutions to resolve aerodynamic, engineering, and styling conflicts.
- Excellent knowledge of CFD, including RANS, LES, VOF, DEM, CHT.
- Experience in Java, Python, Matlab, Bash, and HPC Systems.
- Experience in the analysis and post processing of large transient data sets.
- Excellent understanding of fluid dynamics, including boundary layer theory, attached and separated flows, vortex behaviors and other flow phenomena.
- MS in Aerodynamics, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Familiarity with geometry creation, simplification and data management within CAD software, preferably CATIA.
- Experience with database management.
- Passion for sustainable energy or related technologies, automotive or electric vehicle development.