Who we are: Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Job Description Summary: Web Platform Engineer
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person.
PayPal web experiences are served billions of times a day, and drive a huge portion of PayPal’s revenue and growth.
Our Web Platform Engineering team ideates, builds, and maintains the ecosystem for web developer success at PayPal. We have the awesome responsibility and privilege to improve productivity for over 1,000 ecosystem developers.
Are you a motivated, passionate engineer in the UX/web space? Have you executed complex UX projects? Are you ready to build web platform capabilities to scale best practice application patterns across a huge developer ecosystem? If so, your team and ecosystem are waiting for you!
The Web Platform Engineering Team provides the foundation for all web development at PayPal by providing and evolving
- Node.js framework and SDLC support for server rendering and GraphQL
- CDN workflow solutions
- Operational support for services critical to web development
- Documentation & training for the above
What You’ll Do:
- Applying industry & open-source best practice UX/web expertise
- Partner with our product web developers to understand their needs and translate that into ecosystem strategy
- Evangelizing web platform capabilities and strategy within PayPal and externally
- Apply your existing network to help us further build the team
- Champion positive engineering change
- Build PayPal’s web platform architecture
- Build proofs-of-concept (POC) with fellow engineers and stakeholders
- Transform successful POCs into well-executed team initiatives
- Deliver scalable solutions that improve core performance and developer experience
- Grow into a technical leader
Who You Are:
- Have a high personal bar for software excellence
- Have experience with multiple web application design patterns
- Use open-source methodologies and tools
- Desire to learn, push the envelope, and share knowledge with others
- Experienced with test automation: TDD, unit/integration/functional testing
- Experienced with collaborating with cross functional areas
- Experienced basing technical decisions on facts, data, and practical considerations
Nice to have:
- GraphQL experience
- Docker build/deployment/management experience
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, Google, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or applicable code academy degree
- Open-source footprint, with your own module or as a contributor to other modules
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.