Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It's an industry that's been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people's lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it's also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it's a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Research team is dedicated to understanding the future of online grocery shopping and how current behaviors and needs may be rapidly evolving. We generate insights that drive product strategy and innovation. We are a collaborative and tight-knit team, and we partner with product, design, data science, and engineering to help build products that solve real problems for people and support Instacart's mission.
We're looking for a Senior User Researcher to join us and help create experiences that improve and transform our customer's lives. You're a passionate user advocate who owns and communicates user insights that lead to strong recommendations and successful outcomes.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Partner closely with a cross-functional team of data scientists, product managers, designers, and engineers who are passionate about building products
- Proactively identify the right questions we should be asking and drive the research strategy in collaboration with your partners
- Design and conduct research to understand users perceptions and behaviors through mixed methods such as interviews, behavioral data, surveys and observations
- Combine qualitative insights with behavioral patterns from data analytics to paint a deeper understanding of users
- Identify behavioral insights that help shape the team's levers to with long term growth, retention, and churn
- Utilize a wide range of storytelling techniques and communicate research insights in a clear, opinionated, and compelling way that influences and leads to action
- Provide mentorship for junior researchers and seeks to uplevel others by proactively sharing expertise, techniques, and knowledge
- 5+ years research experience in an applied industry role, demonstrating:
- Proven ability of influencing product strategy through clear, concise and impactful storytelling
- Experience applying mixed method research methodologies (qual+quant) in a fast paced product development environment
- Experience with survey design and analysis (i.e., significant testing)
- Experience facilitating design thinking, alignment workshops with senior cross-functional stakeholders
- Familiarity with service design methodologies (blueprints, multiple touchpoints, journey maps)
- Experience working within online marketplaces, groceries, or SaaS company a plus
- Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Statistics, Computer Science or a related field or the equivalent experience desired