Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It's an industry that's been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people's lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it's also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it's a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Creative Team is dedicated to making Instacart one of the world's most beloved and recognizable brands. Through outstanding design across brand, marketing, and storytelling, our goal is to evolve the world's perception of our relationship to food and grocery shopping—and make sure that shines through every Instacart experience.
ABOUT THE JOB
As Senior Illustrator for Motion, you'll be joining a team that supports Instacart's growing brand and creative expression. This team is responsible for creating memorable and engaging brand design, visuals, campaigns, and messaging across our marketing, product, and internal & external culture.
In this role you will help drive, communicate, and implement Instacart's brand expression through storyboarding — illustrating memorable and engaging narratives that bring to life our brand and marketing initiatives. A creative, analytical thinker, your ability in visual interpretation will convey the spirit of our Instacart stories through gesture, emotion, movement, and logical progression of action.
- Illustrate multiple storyboards for video and animation, for digital storytelling for brand and marketing campaigns, ads, commercials, and company initiatives
- Read and interpret scripts to visually express the written narrative
- Partner closely with our animators to align on sequencing, movement, and execution
- Contribute illustrations to the Creative Team illustration library and toolkit
- Participate in project kick-offs, creative concepting, and ideation sessions
- Communicate with cross-functional partners through the implementation phase to intake and distill feedback, amending scenes as needed during production, to realize design vision
- Design end card layouts for commercials and social media content
- Collaborate closely with designers, writers, managers, directors, and external vendors, across cross-functional teams, to drive the project work from creative concept to execution
- 4+ years experience as a digital storyboard designer in-house or at creative agency
- Understands how to hand-off files prepared for animation and video.
- Strong visual portfolio and demonstrated experience of designing storyboards for digital media, with an eye for color, composition, layout, and various illustration styles and genres
- Skilled in hand drawing and computer drawing
- Fluency in visual storytelling and animation principles
- Demonstrates the ability to work confidently and build trusted partnerships on teams of designers, writers, program managers, creative and marketing directors
- Ability to self-initiate and lead design projects and proactively seek out creative solutions to technical challenges
- Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Experience and knowledge working in Adobe Creative Suite and Figma
- Knowledge of Cinema 4D - preferred, not required