Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It's an industry that's been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people's lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is crucial, but it's also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It provides a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it's a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Product Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone. By helping take care of the shopping, we help people get good food and give them back time, so they can do what matters most to them. We're finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Instacart Shopper's team provides Shoppers with a flexible, reliable, and dignified way to earn an income so they can provide high quality and affordable service to our customers. The shopper team seeks a Principal Product Manager to drive shopper incentives. This PM's role is to build and scale levers that drive shoppers to work when and where we need them in order to meet customer demand. The promotions workstream is accountable for the shopper experience, machine learning models, backend technology, and growth optimizations to motivate and reward shoppers. As a Product Manager on the team you will:
- Drive the product definition, strategy, and long-term vision for shopper incentives.
- Rally a cross-functional team of engineering, research, data science, operations, marketing, local markets, and more.
- Identify the biggest problems to solve. Drive new feature development from start to finish
- Build, measure, and iterate rapidly and create a platform that enables ongoing optimization
- Consistently integrate behavioral data, financial results, and customer feedback into key product decisions.
- Partner closely with finance and operations to manage a large promotion budget
- Communicate product plans, benefits, and results to all audiences - within teams, company, users, press, etc.
- Prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring new team members as we scale the incentives team to make them productive members of your team quickly.
- Develop a team culture of ownership, teamwork, and empathy that reinforces the core values of Instacart.
The ideal candidate will have strong quantitative and marketplace skills—ideally demonstrated through prior successful ownership of a marketplace or heavily ML-driven product.
- 7+ years in Product Management
- Experience working on machine learning products
- Strong coaching abilities to mentor junior PMs
- Strong business background - MBA or equivalent experience
- Ability to develop strong roadmaps and strategic plans as well as to provide execution details through product specifications
- Strong communication skills with the ability to collaborate & communicate with a wide range of team members from every function and at every level
- Superior data and analytical skills, including the ability to define and decompose relevant metrics
- Appreciation and understanding of behavioral economics and marketplace dynamics