The Fulfillment Marketplace system sits at the core of Instacart. Our engineering team builds technology to best match demand with supply and powers our logistics engine. Our system supports millions of shoppers on the Instacart platform through mobile and web experiences by offering immediate and flexible earnings opportunities, and must be highly reliable at all times. A major aspect of the team's success is to find the efficient frontier between service availability and fulfillment cost, all the while providing the best customer experience.
Given the combinatorial explosion of possibilities needed to solve the vehicle routing problem of fulfilling groceries, our system needs to handle billions of computations and find the best solutions in near real-time, and it heavily relies on real time and fast moving data, adapting to the dynamic nature of customer demand, available inventory, and shopper supply.
To be successful in this role, you should have extensive experience in building a world class team by recruiting and retaining the best engineering talent in the industry. You must be deeply technical and data driven, with a strong business instinct. In addition, you are an expert in stakeholder management and strategy communication. You will help strengthen the engineering culture and refine a process that will shape the future of the team.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead and drive our software engineering and machine learning teams building the systems that serve as Instacart's engine
- Continue strengthening the technical and people leadership of a fast growing engineering team
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Design, and Senior Leadership across the company
- High energy and scrappy engineering leader with previous experience scaling large teams in late stage, hyper growth startups
- Technically respected and inspirational leader, with a deep network of talented engineers/managers, who can recruit and build teams quickly
- Proven track record of getting things done.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with ability to influence and collaborate with senior cross-functional leaders across the company
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, and/or relevant experience