At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position is based in the New York.
This role is focused on enhancing the visibility and elevating the impact of
the world-class research on the IBM company, from over 3,000 IBM
scientists and engineers around the world.
It requires creativity in explaining complex science to a lay audience,
working with scientists on promoting technical peer-review papers on
topics ranging from AI to cyber security to quantum computing, research
results and client collaborations to identify earned media opportunities
and craft timely, interesting and relevant pitches that synthesize complex
science which align with IBM’s strategy. Using your strong storytelling
skills and your extensive experience working with the the technology and
science press, you will secure media engagements, including phone,
podcast and video interviews, bylined articles, virtual demos, and host
press events at IBM lab locations and informational briefings.
To be successful, you must come to work with a “sleeves rolled up”
attitude and possess strong writing and presentation skills. You may also
be required to create content, including photos and videos, for social
You should demonstrate the ability to work closely with scientists and
other communications colleagues across all business units, as well as
actively cultivate mutually-beneficial relationships with media and other
influencers. You must be comfortable working independently as well as
with large cross-company, multi-disciplinary and global teams in order to
- Serve as a trusted communications advisor to IBM Research
scientists, engineers and leadership team.
- Collaboration is key with teams on the worldwide and country levels
- Develop and execute earned media communications campaigns
- Develop written storytelling content, including pitches, blog posts,
press announcements, social-media posts and other external
- Identify, advise on and execute high visibility executive speaking
- Focus on telling the IBM story regarding hybrid cloud and data and
artificial intelligence (AI) as aligned with IBM Research.
- Collaborate with business and marketing team leads on content
creation, new product and thought leadership initiatives, to drive
integrated earned media communications programs
- Place media stories on IBM innovations and IBM executives that
demonstrate technology and business leadership in national top-tier
- Partner with corporate communications colleagues, geographic
communications teams, internal communications experts, social
media colleagues and others to maintain cohesive messaging in
support of IBM’s global strategy
- Monitor, measure and report periodically on media coverage, reach
and share-of-voice resulting from outreach
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
10+ years in media relations, communications or similar experience
Experience in technology and science media relations
Demonstrated writing ability
Having a science degree is not a requirement, but a passion for
English language proficiency
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Extensive Media Relations Experience
Technology background expertise
Experienced writing and strategy background
About Business UnitIBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBMAre you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world's most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it's time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It's time to define your career.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Location StatementIBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.