As a Z-System Modernization Application Developer, you will lead IBM into the future by translating system requirements into the design and development of customized systems in an agile environment. The success of IBM is in your hands as you transform vital business needs into code and drive innovation. Your work will power IBM and its clients globally, collaborating and integrating code into enterprise systems. You will have access to the latest education, tools and technology, and a limitless career path with the world’s technology leader. Come to IBM and make a global impact!
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud company changing the way the world works. We foster a culture of creative, innovative thinkers; people who are curious about how technology can transform businesses and impact the world. Our consultants are part of IBM Services where we engage with clients across every industry to deliver technology-driven solutions. We cultivate a diverse, inclusive, global team of people who want to pioneer, reimagine and disrupt the future. We’re driven to stay ahead in the marketplace and enhance our relevance to be essential to our clients, and this begins with our talent.
Job role description: Associate Application Developer
We’re looking for a real-world problem solver with the technical savvy to make the impossible, possible. As an Associate Application Developer, you’ll be a part of client-facing teams to help businesses change the way they work, finding solutions to major challenges by translating system requirements into the design and development of customized systems in an agile environment.
You’ll help design, develop, and integrate solutions using future-looking technologies, techniques, and products our clients demand today. We prioritize ongoing learning, development of consulting and/or technical skills, and continuous personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and apprenticeship.
Work you could do as an Associate Application Developer:
- Define, detail and scope the technical requirements into solution architecture and drive an independent project from an architectural standpoint.
- Design, develop and/or re-engineer application components, and integrate software packages, programs, and reusable objects residing on multiple platforms.
- Support Technical Consultants and lead in building solutions and providing technical mentoring and guidance
About the Client Innovation Center (CIC):
- The IBM Client Innovation Center is an in-bound delivery model where we support our clients from our Lansing center
- Some travel is expected, and all candidates must be willing and able to travel to meet our client needs across the US. Travel is typically related to knowledge transfer and training at the client site. You are expected to travel up to 50% of the time.
- You must live in, or be willing to relocate to Michigan once our offices reopen permanently (currently, many IBM offices are working remotely due to Covid)
- Our motto: Right Time, Right Place, Change the World.
START DATES AVAILABLE AS EARLY AS JANUARY 2022
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Proficiency in at least one modern software such as Java.
Proficiency with an IDE such as Eclipse.
Proficiency with Command Line Interface (CLI) on Unix-like operating systems (Linux, AIX).
Ability to learn z/OS application development patterns: COBOL, JCL, VSAM, CICS, DB2 mainframe source control
Strong analysis skills
Ability to thrive in an ever changing, technology based consulting environment, using agile development techniques strongly desired
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Experience with COBOL, JCL, VSAM, CICS, DB2 mainframe source control
About Business UnitIBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBMAre you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world's most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it's time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It's time to define your career.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Location StatementIBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.