Applications will be accepted through August 19th, 2021.
Bachelor’s degree in a UX-related field (human-computer interaction, human factors, behavioral research, or graphic design), or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of professional experience.
- 10 years of experience in creative expression or relevant design industry experience, with 5 years of experience managing teams.
- Experience directing and mentoring a multi-functional UX team.
About the job
Portfolio that demonstrates creative range, innovative thinking and experience in creating new and delightful experiences.
- Experience at both agency/design firms and technology-based product companies.
- Experience with map-based technologies.
- Experience in developing, pitching and shipping breakthrough work that elevates both brand and product experience.
- Excellent creative background.
- Ability to present and explain creative direction to senior stakeholders across the company.
The Geo product area is the home of Google Maps and Google Earth, and a critical partner to Local Search, Dining, Shopping and Travel. Our mission is to “assist people everywhere as they navigate, explore and get things done in the world.” With over a billion users and growing, we have the opportunity to impact the entire world with our products.
As UX Director on the Studio team, you help define and drive the evolution of Geo’s visual language and brand, leading a multidisciplinary team of Visual Designers, Motion Designers and other UX specializations (including Writing and Content Design, Video Production, and UX Engineering), and working in close partnership with cross-functional Leads across Consumer UX and Google. In this role, you will apply your passion for craft, fidelity and execution to our core experiences. Your work will influence product strategy, hone our identity and motivate teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Drive high-impact design projects from concept to production, helping define, deliver, and implement a future vision for the experience of our products.
- Work closely with UX, Product Management and Engineering to effectively communicate the value of design fidelity and brand.
- Propose innovative ways to improve visual design, motion design, and content strategy, and develop processes to increase efficiency and remove obstacles for your team.
- Advocate for coherence, narrative and simplicity across Google; inspire, empower, and grow members of a diverse team of UX talent.
- Drive engagement efforts with stakeholder groups to focus on principles of diversity, equity and inclusion in product development; build connections across Google’s UX and product teams including marketing, hardware and Material Design.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.