Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, a related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience setting up compute and networking hardware for testing activities and maintaining lab infrastructure such as power, networking, and environmental chambers.
- Experience with data center hardware infrastructure including performance characteristics, tools, and software related issues.
About the job
In-depth system admin experience using Linux or other Unix operating systems (Ubuntu or RHEL) and shell scripts.
- Good knowledge of network infrastructure involving NIC, L2 switch, routers, optic modules such as SFP/QSFP, single-mode/multi-mode fiber.
- Good overall understanding of computer systems: physical, functional, logical, mechanical, electrical, software, thermal etc.
- Ability to root-cause a failure in a complex testbed.
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings such as schematics, datasheets, and written work instructions.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and mentoring skills.
Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
As a Systems Lab Hardware Test Engineer, you will be supporting a team of hardware design, test, and qualification engineers who are responsible for system prototype bring-up, validation, qualification, and failure analysis of network products such as L2 switch/routers and server system technologies such as CPU, DDR memory, SSD/HD.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Support various hardware system prototype bringup and qualification testing activities under minimal supervision by building and testing (with instruction) multi-rack, multi-system testbeds.
- Coordinate with a team of hardware designers, qualification and test engineers, on project planning within hardware development labs, and ensure adequate resources are available.
- Ensure development labs are well organized, properly stocked, and are safe working environments while partnering with Google’s safety teams.
- Manage lab budgets for test resources, equipment, and systems rack facility related projects.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.