Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in software development, with data structures/algorithms.
- 5 years of experience testing and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design/architecture, and C++ coding.
- Experience in one or more: computer/network security, authentication, applied cryptography, PKI, X.509.
About the job
Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 5 years of experience building software for data privacy or security (e.g., identity and access management).
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional, and/or cross-business projects.
- Experience developing internet standards (such as in the IETF or W3C).
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
The security of the web rests upon its public key infrastructure (PKI): the organizations (root certificate authorities, or root CAs) that issue website certificates. As a Staff Software Engineer on the Chrome Security team, you will build the systems inside and outside Chrome that manage trust in a set of root CAs. You’ll be part of a growing team of engineers who measure and track the Web PKI, producing usable data that feeds into decisions about who can be trusted to operate the keys to the internet. You’ll design and build infrastructure to support these trust decisions into Chrome and other customers, and you’ll be responsible for security-critical code that validates website certificates.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Ship software in Chrome that manages and updates a trust store, and develop related code such as Chrome’s certificate verification and Certificate Transparency implementations.
- Design and build tooling and infrastructure to support CA trust decisions and ongoing root program management.
- Support shared certificate and trust store code used throughout Google infrastructure.
- Review code developed by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.