Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location for this position from the following: London, UK; Dublin, Ireland
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently.
About the job
- A successful track record working with privacy stakeholders and regulators in Europe
- Understanding of internet technologies and associated data governance and public policy implications.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and organisational skills, collaborating with multiple teams simultaneously and a strong track record of executing cross-functional projects.
- Team player with an ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you'll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual excellence with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You're passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
The Centers of Excellence (COE) within Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) is a hub for strategy and expertise on the global government affairs and public policy issues impacting our business, ensuring that Google has a truly global perspective on our public policy issues. The Data Governance COE pursues this mandate for issues related to privacy, cybersecurity, government access, and other topics. We are subject matter experts in our functional area and we think across product and geographic boundaries.
As a member of the Data Governance COE, you'll provide policy expertise on privacy matters in Europe and beyond. You are on top of privacy trends around the world and understand their importance to the company and its users. You'll participate in and lead cross-functional teams, thinking globally, strategically, and advising teams on your issues.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop and lead public policy strategies, communicating on priority data and privacy matters with policymakers, regulators, and key opinion formers.
- Work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to ensure that emerging issues and trends are clearly understood, and advise on steps to address them.
- Represent GAPP in high-stakes external engagements to ensure Google’s work on privacy issues is understood and contribute to Google’s work on user safety and trust.
- Develop consistent, aligned company policy positions, enabling global teams to engage on privacy and data matters with local stakeholders including trade associations, industry partners, and others.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.